betta fish tank mate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rebekahbirch

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just for future reference, would an african dwarf frog and a male betta 'get along' in a 6 gallon hexagonal tank with heater??
should i get more than one frog with the betta?
Any experiences? :D
Becky...XxX

I hear about people successfully keeping the two species together all the time, you shouldn't have a problem.

Ya! I keep my male betta with three black skirts, and he does just fine. A good rule of thumb is if it looks like a betta, it generally won't work.

I personally know goldfish don't work. At my cousins wedding, she had goldfish and bettas in the vases, as like prizes for this game. The betta attacked them so I had to rescue everyone. The betta lived a good 4 years. The goldfish died the next day :/

Dylan5359 said:
I personally know goldfish don't work. At my cousins wedding, she had goldfish and bettas in the vases, as like prizes for this game. The betta attacked them so I and to rescue everyone. The betta lived a good 4 years. The goldfish died the next day :/

It all depends on the fish too. As most bettas live in isolation for their whole lives, it's always unpredictable when they're first swimming with other fish. Some, like my betta, react shyly and warm up to the others, while some get very defensive and immediately go to attack mode. Definitely have a backup plan in case things don't work out.

JMO, a 6g hex might be pushing it a little for space for both a betta and frog.

Back
Top Bottom