betta fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joker69

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ok so i started a thread a while ago asking if you could put a female and male betta fish together. some said no they will fight but. i thought it is only the males. i took the chance of buying a female and they are so happy together and no fighting so it looks like that i was right. cant wait for them to breed lol :fish1::fish1:

Probably in a big tank with a LOT of hiding place. Betta behaviour change from betta to betta. Some betta are more passive, some are very very agressive.

If they breed, how will you handle it ? You'll give the fry ? Keep the fry ?

ok so i started a thread a while ago asking if you could put a female and male betta fish together. some said no they will fight but. i thought it is only the males. i took the chance of buying a female and they are so happy together and no fighting so it looks like that i was right. cant wait for them to breed lol :fish1::fish1:

While this type arrangement can be done ( as you are seeing) it is far from the "norm" and only suggested to those willing to lose one of the fish. ( It also is typical of siblings kept together from eggs. But once you split them up, they typically have no memory of the relationship.) It's also a testament to the changes 100s of years of breeding these fish has done to the natural ways this fish lives out in nature. Males fight for dominance and space protection. Females usually live around the area where it is heavily planted (for their protection) and only approach a male when they want to spawn. In many cases, when breeding today's Bettas, the females still take a good beating when they are placed in with the male before he is ready for her. There's a whole psychological change the male needs to go through when they prepare to breed. Too soon and the male will still be the aggressor and possibly kill the female.

If you are fortunate enough to have these 2 spawn, just remember that the fry are very sensitive to water movement so you do not want any filters or airstones going until the fry are at least a week old. (You can see some of my Betta breeding setups in my album section of my profile ;) )

Hope this helps (y)

Back
Top Bottom