Betta has black spots and whitish lump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Orangina

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all,
Sorry to jump right in without an intro. I need some help with my betta that I've had about a year. Last December I noticed she had a dark spot on her side. I posted pics to a betta forum and they all said it was just marbling. She acted fine so I let it go. Three months later the spot was getting larger and started spreading to her other side. I posted again asking if marbling is supposed to look like this and again the consensus was marbling. She also had a red splotch on her head. Nope, just her coloring, they said. It looked ugly to me, but she was acting fine, so I let it go.

I should note she's in a 10 gal established tank by herself with plants. Heated and filtered. I vacuum the gravel weekly and do 50% water changes. I do have a constant problem with brown algae that I'm always having to rub off the plants and heater.

A few weeks ago I noticed she had a whitish lump on top of the big black spot. Also she was hanging near the bottom and occasionally darting around like she was irritated. Obviously NOT marbling. After kicking myself for not seeking out second opinions and acting on this months ago, I am now trying to save her.

I did some googling and thought it could be columnaris. I purchased aquarium salt, added 1 tsp per gallon, and also bought API E.M. erythromycin. I followed the instructions on the box and the treatment period is now over and I have charcoal in the filter. I've been doing 50% water changes daily and testing for ammonia & nitrite. Trace amounts are showing up. I assume the meds kill the bio in the media and will have to re-cycle? I also stopped the salt but wondering if I should continue that?

The good news is she started perking up after the 2nd day of treatment and is back to her usual self and eating well. However, the black spots and white lump look no better. I've been overwhelmed with my job and a cat in renal failure, so this is the first chance I've had to get on a forum and post pics. I would appreciate any advice on what it is and how to proceed. I have other pics and angles if needed. Thank you!

What she looked like in December 2014

In April 2015

Current pics

Hi, copied in a link on meds below.

The lump does look a problem (and separate to colouring). At a guess I'd say some sort of growth with secondary bacterial infection. It looked like there is a lump pushing out from under the scales and then white infection around the scales?

Aquarium Medications Part 2 | Antibiotic & Antimicrobial Treatments

Edit - initial thoughts would be trying a combo of furan 2 and metro.

Last edited:
Thanks Delapool, I will look into these. Would a parasite cause a lump like this? I added more aquarium salt tonight, 1/2 tsp per gallon. I don't know if it will help but I know she perked up when I added it before. She is still acting fine though.

Could be Melanoma.
I brought this out in black swordtails.
Your betta looks bad IMO,sorry.
I have seen many "degrees" of affliction.
This was the only betta link I could find and it is a limited pay to see more PDF!
Sorry!
Invasion of melanoma to angiolipoma in a male Siamese fighting fish, Betta splendens, Regan - Rahmati-holasoo - 2014 - Journal of Fish Diseases - Wiley Online Library
It is a recent study from 2014.
Several universities use swordtails to study the genetics of melanoma currently in the US.
If the lump never leaves the black pigmented areas I think this is what it is.

A parasite / bacterial 'pimple' could look similar. If you can see anything in the centre of the lump like a dot it could be that. Or if it 'grew' suddenly. A further question would then be if anything has been introduced in tank in last few weeks to see if anything fits timing wise.

The second last pic reminded me of a tumor growth. It looked like something growing out.

But you could always try a salt dip since handling salt well and see if that cleans the infection up / makes a difference.

Furan 2 will treat gram negative, external bacterial infections, metro covers more internal bacterial plus some single-cell parasites.

A link just in case useful.

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/fish_palace/tropicalfish_disease_identification.html

Edit - I thought CB had a good post. Would that fit?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom