Betta has white cottony looking thing by mouth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoldfishNewbie

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well I'll add a picture tomorrow, but does this sound like mouth rot to you?
he has clamped fins, and a little white cottony thing in the corner of his mouth. could it be the beginning of ich? I just learned of mouth rot and now I'm worried, because his mouth is looking kind of weird shaped... anyways I'll post a pic, but if you guys have any pics of mouth rot on a betta that would be helpful..

Doesn't sound like ich or velvet or mouth rot. It sounds more like a fungus. Don't know what you're keeping your guy in (over 2 gal is best, heated) but 25% daily water changes at a minimum and aquarium salt (not table salt) is the best way to start helping. I'll let someone else who may have some more experience with fungus chime in about possible medication.

thanks,He's in a 10 gallon filtered and heated tank... Ive been doing the water changes and aquarium salt, I also bought pimafix just incase, but then heard it wasn't safe for bettas... ?

Not familiar with pimafix uses with Bettas. Am also thinking this could potentially be columnaris. Keep up with the water changes and aq salt until you hear from someone regarding the growth. Posting a pic would help and knowing the parameters of your water would be of help as well.

If it's a ten gallon, go ahead and do a 50% today. This time, leave out the salt. Clean water every other day with aquarium salt in between is the best cure. Also... Water parameters?

i use melafix for my bettas with great success i always have a bottle but with labrynth fish i dilute it to 1 part melafix to 5 parts water update?

Thanks, I decided just to keep the tank warm and use aquarium salt. seems to have fixed it. Now just have a dying ryukin :( I swear fancy goldfish hate me :'(

despite everything you were told Betta are warm water fish great job keeping the heat send me a message if you want i also keep fancy goldfish i can help you there too

Back
Top Bottom