Betta into new tank?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laura1841

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all! We have a single female betta in a 20 litre tank, a while ago I brought another female to go into the tank with her! However as my first female has been alone for some while she was very defensive of her space and flared up in a big way! Nipping at the other female! The second female went into my community tank of danios and 3 mollys! My question is this;
If I move my original betta to the bigger community tank do u think she wud be better then in the smaller (her territory) tank! It wud be so much easier for me to keep just one tank!?

Hi all! We have a single female betta in a 20 litre tank, a while ago I brought another female to go into the tank with her! However as my first female has been alone for some while she was very defensive of her space and flared up in a big way! Nipping at the other female! The second female went into my community tank of danios and 3 mollys! My question is this;
If I move my original betta to the bigger community tank do u think she wud be better then in the smaller (her territory) tank! It wud be so much easier for me to keep just one tank!?

If your community tank is planted well with plenty of hiding places & big enough it should work. Females will chase & nip each other so that's expected it usually lessens over a few days to a week. Some will say you need at least 5 females for a sorority to work but I've had fewer with little to no problems. How big is your community tank? I currently have 10 female Bettas in a med-heavy planted 46g tank. There's still some occasional chasing & nipping but they can easily escape each other. I say put her in there (after proper acclimation), keep a close watch, if there's more than just some chasing & minor fin nipping you may have to remove one or the other. I introduced 4 at one time & 2 of them literally were trying to kill each other like I'd never seen females do. I put one in an opaque bowl floating in the tank for a few hours then re-introduced, the aggression was greatly reduced & now they're fine. Just keep a back up plan in case they don't settle.

Back
Top Bottom