Betta or Dwarf Gouramis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Davies97

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was thinking about getting a centre piece fish but cant make my mind up Betta or Dwarf Gouramis. Betta will be Male and will have Male and Female Dwarf Gouramis. Nothing in my tank that will do any harm it all good

I'd say beta but I'm biased since I just have one of the two. :) they have lots of personality and there's a nearly limitless selection of colors and fin types to choose from plus I've heard DGs are really sensitive. Unfortunately with betas there's always the chance of getting a bad one who is really aggressive.

I have wanted a betta before i had a tank but other fish keep throwing me off so i might just go for it

If you do make sure that the filter output isn't too strong if you want to get a long finned type like a veil tale or half-moon. I know plakats, females, and short finned are more tolerant of high flow but it can really make It hard for them to swim. Of course you can always make a baffle out of a plastic water bottle which is what I did until I got my fluval C2 which has adjustable flow. Good luck! :)

I have a bubble wall at the back which wont harm him and the filter just moves the surface so its all good

I started my tank with two Male Dwarf Gouramis. The colors are absolutely beautiful. They are very graceful swimmers, and very interesting to watch. It's been fairly easy to pick tankmates for them, and they've been a breeze to care for. They are even very tolerant of my 3 year old constantly trying to pet them, while tempting them with food. :lol:

My daughter has a Beta, and I just can't get into it. We're actually having problems with it after only a month (water conditions, fin rot, etc). I must say that I have had Betas before that lived for YEARS with no trouble at all. It seems the more complicated you make their tank, the more complicated it is to keep them alive. I've had them in bowls beneath suspended semi-aquatic plants that I just changed the water in twice a week that lived for years, and years with no trouble.

Seems when you add a filter and gravel, now you need to be careful of current, water temp, how much light they get, etc. Never had this much trouble with them just in a bowl on the dining room table.

I know people love Betas. No problem with that. I just noted my own personal (limited) experience with them. I don't intend to sound like I'm bashing Betas or their owners.

Ok thanks ive never had luck with fish with long tails they just sort of die but fish with smaller fin live wierd

Back
Top Bottom