Betta stories/rescues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
While we are on the topic of rescues though...
I know I have told this story before, and maybe its not a true rescue...
About 6 months ago, my bf and I were out doing errands. We got groceries and stuff. While we were out, I wanted to stop by my fish store to get a betta for my 10g. So, I picked one up (he was in a cup. It was before I chose to not buy cupped bettas) and we went back home. We brought everything in and out it away. Then, I looked around and couldn't find my betta. I thought we left him in the car, so I ran back out but he wasn't there. I asked my bf where the betta was and my bf went pale. His eyes got big and he just pointed to the refrigerator. "AAAAGGGGGHHH!" I ran over and rescued my poor new friend out of the fridge. He was ok and is currently housed in a 10g with a embers. But, I was pretty angry. He was only in the fridge for about 15 minutes grand total, but I was still REALLY mad. My bf just had a dumb, distracted moment.

For those that think they are truly "rescuing" a betta, what exactly are you saving it from?

Bettas can survive in small cups. It's not ideal at all, but they survive it very well, otherwise retailers would not keep them/ship them/maintain them this way.

So what are you saving them from again? Sitting in a cup? Potentially being bought by someone who doesn't know what they are doing?

There's countless other species that are crammed together in tiny display tanks at pet stores. How about the goldfish and rosy red feeder tanks, they are hundreds deep, who cares about "saving" those? Oh wait, they aren't as pretty as bettas so I guess it doesn't matter.

My honest opinion is that many people do these rescue missions because it makes them feel good about themselves, an ultimately selfish act under the guise of charity. If they were really doing it for the sake of the animals, they'd look at the big picture and do something to solve the real problem.
I don't completely disagree with you but, I don't think that is completely fair. Yes, there are issues that need to be addressed all across the pet trade, but that does not make this paticular issue any less important IMHO.

Had this been a thread about feeder tanks, I would have said I would never buy a fish from one to feed my turtle, because their care, or rather lack thereof, is digusting.

I understand that. I think that the conditions that many fish are kept in is deplorable, but if someone really wants to deal with the problem then they need to go to the source rather than just promote it and pat themselves on the back.

severum mama said:
By "saving" them, you are only ensuring that the store will continue to stock them with the same husbandry practices that you find so appalling. Paying for them at said store equals your tacit approval of the conditions in which they are kept. Just sayin'. ;)

Haha, never thought of it that way, it really makes you think.

So either way you lose

IMO, buying the fish doesn't necessarily stop pet stores like Petco from keeping to do what they've been doing for what, ten-fifteen years now?

With regard to my local Petco, as a result of many customers, myself included, complaining and basically boycotting the fish department, they decided to completely revamp that section of the store. All the tanks are redone, they are now purchasing from different suppliers and they employ a full-time person whose only job is to keep the fish department ship-shape.

They've done an incredible job and are now selling healthy fish and enjoying repeat customers and good word-of-mouth sales.

If you make an official complaint, it carries a ton of weight and changes are made. If you sit around and complain with only your fellow fishkeepers, no changes will be made. If you just keep buying the fish who are kept in conditions you don't agree with, you aren't going to make a change.

Back
Top Bottom