Betta tank mates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anna94

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Can I keep a betta with cardinal tetras, lemon tetras, Celebes rainbows, platys, a few otocinclus', and a horseface loach?

What size tank?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The answer is maybe.
Firstly, it all depends on your betta's personality. He could be an aggressive fish serial killer or a shy peaceful fish that just wants to get along.
Secondly, the type of fish you're keeping the betta with. I would say it's safe to keep your betta with the otocinclus and horse face loach mainly because they're dull coloured,can get away easily with short bursts of speed and are mainly bottom dwellers while the betta tends to stay in the upper/middle region of the tank . For the tetras, I would say it's risky to keep a betta with them mainly because they're colourful and stay in the middle region of the tank. However, they can swim fast enough to escape your betta in the 20 gallon long so I would say it is risky but doable. The problem comes in with the platys though, they're slower, prone to getting fin-nipped, colourful and they share the same region of the tank as the betta (top and middle) not only that, they sort of resemble a male betta with all the vibrant colours.
Ultimately, it depends on the betta's personality.

Aside from you not listing how many of each species. Id say there is little chance of that stock list to work long term.

Aside from you not listing how many of each species. Id say there is little chance of that stock list to work long term.

4 lemon tetras, 2 Celebes rainbows, 2 platys, 6 cardinal tetras, an otocinclus, and a horseface loach.

It is difficult to say, use aqadvisor to see if your filtration system will be enough (and remember it doesn't account for live plants, which helps)
Once you've done that, it comes down to the betta. I've read some people suggesting that red betta have the worst temper, although I can't attest.
I would google each species you currently house to see what their ideal minimal school size is, and then just add 1 or 2 more of each species (per your max stock capacity and filtration capabilities)

I know betta are beautiful, and make an amazing ornamental addition to any tank, but if you have nice healthy schools of happy fish they will act more naturally, and in turn satisfy the need for any ornamental addition by being much more lively and engaging.
I'm no expert, just my suggestion.

Did you rehome any of you fish? Or is the tank the same as it was when multiple experts advised you that it was overstocked?
If so, please rehome some fish or upgrade so you can have more fish. I don't enjoy repeating this point, but I do so for the sake of your fish and for your sake as well. Even if it seems like you aren't overstocked because "small fish don't poop much", fish excrete ammonia through their gills as well. This means even if you don't see them pooping often, they're still releasing quite a bit of ammonia. If your nitrifying bacteria can't handle the bioload, you'll run into trouble.
If you'd like a betta, from my experience they do better by themselves, though as others have mentioned, it depends on the betta's personality. You could always get a 2.5 gallon tank kit (though 5 is much better) for the betta. Kits come with filters and lights, you just need to add a heater, substrate and decor. The filter may be a little strong, so you could baffle it if that's the case.
Bettas awesome fish a very rewarding to keep, but I don't suggest that you put one into your 20 gallon.
Please know I say this in the kindest way possible; I only want to help you.

Hey Blue, any experience keeping betta with amano shrimp?

No, I haven't ever tried that combination. Almost of my bettas have been kept alone.
With any shrimp, there is a chance that the betta will chase them down and kill them. However, amanos get larger than cherries or ghosts, I believe, so adults should be safe. Many bettas simply ignore shrimp. It just depends on your betta's personality. :)
Hope this helps!

I appreciate it, I'm going to try it. I decided on amano shrimp based on colored shrimp being too eye-catching as prey, and ghost shrimp being aggressive in groups (without enough food) and of course how they get bigger. I just want an ultra reliable algae eater that might not get eaten by my betta.

Betta is fine with cardinal and neons and other tetras. Honestly with Betts I am always more concerned what fish I put with betta is because of betta. Some fish who are fin nippers find betta to attractive and nip bettas fins. My Betts chased only one of my molly but usually Minds its own business.

Depends, some are more quite while some are really aggressive. I personally had one that would kill every thing he sees while the other wouldnt even touch cherry shrimp!

Yeah, I adopted a betta (Damocles) and he ate all the baby snails, detritus worms, crustaceans like daphnia and a few other types in a few days. I don't think he's going to be good with shrimp, and I'm even reconsidering a larger snail. I do want something to help clean the tank though, I would love to get a mystery snail, but I'm nervous his eyes would be taken off almost immediately.

Back
Top Bottom