Betta Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarist1234

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've been keeping Cichlids for a while now and got an isolation tank, the first one we got was too small for cichlids so we got a different one. I'm going to use the smaller one for a Betta, any tips?

I've been keeping Cichlids for a while now and got an isolation tank, the first one we got was too small for cichlids so we got a different one. I'm going to use the smaller one for a Betta, any tips?

Hmm... I'm assuming this is 5g+.

They like low filter flow, that's why I use sponge filters and internal filters with sponges blocking part of the flow. They need a heater which they like around 78*-82*F, it reminds them of Thailand;).

Mine LOVE plants, live plants more than fake plants. And if fake plants silk or fabric ones only because they don't like getting their tail caught. More plants the happier the betta IME.

Hiding places are a must. They love swimming in and out of hiding places, IMO it gives them a sense of privacy.

They like high quality food pellets, but only a few a day or else they'll get sick. They LOVE frozen and live foods, and the occasional dried food is ok.

They like love and attention, mine get all excited when I go near the tank. They swim around it like they're NASCAR drivers in Indy.

But the thing they love the most: clean water. They would rather have clean water more than anything else. It's what they live in and want the best for themselves.

Those are all based on my experience with bettas and a little based on some articles I've read:) So, there might be some differences, especially since bettas have their own mind;)

Good luck with your betta(y) You won't regret getting one!:fish1:

Perfectly put lol dnt know if I can follow that but in terms of the tank looks IME black gravel/sand and a black background and some pink and white light bring out there colors ten fold mine definately loves the frozen and live foods oh an they love 2 explore so make some interesting place for him to go :)

Do you have any pics of the current set up ?
Do you have a heater
And I suggest a bigger tank 5+
I have an 8 gal but I live in south Africa I could give u all the stuff u need free but u just need 2 get it somehow lol. That's if you want stuff

AquaKai said:
Hmm... I'm assuming this is 5g+.

They like low filter flow, that's why I use sponge filters and internal filters with sponges blocking part of the flow. They need a heater which they like around 78*-82*F, it reminds them of Thailand;).

Mine LOVE plants, live plants more than fake plants. And if fake plants silk or fabric ones only because they don't like getting their tail caught. More plants the happier the betta IME.

Hiding places are a must. They love swimming in and out of hiding places, IMO it gives them a sense of privacy.

They like high quality food pellets, but only a few a day or else they'll get sick. They LOVE frozen and live foods, and the occasional dried food is ok.

They like love and attention, mine get all excited when I go near the tank. They swim around it like they're NASCAR drivers in Indy.

But the thing they love the most: clean water. They would rather have clean water more than anything else. It's what they live in and want the best for themselves.

Those are all based on my experience with bettas and a little based on some articles I've read:) So, there might be some differences, especially since bettas have their own mind;)

Good luck with your betta(y) You won't regret getting one!:fish1:

Thanks! I will take care of it the best I can! Is a 2.5 gal ok? I have to use the bigger one for my other fish, and 78 is perfect, thats my room temp! I also have a filter for it and I will get all the best for it! I'll try to do live plants, but idk if I will be able to. Thanks again :)

Shane l said:
Do you have any pics of the current set up ?
Do you have a heater

image-544579345.jpg

Here it is, don't have a heater or gravel/decor yet though

Thanks! I will take care of it the best I can! Is a 2.5 gal ok? I have to use the bigger one for my other fish, and 78 is perfect, thats my room temp! I also have a filter for it and I will get all the best for it! I'll try to do live plants, but idk if I will be able to. Thanks again :)

Yes the 2.5 will be good. Just do some extra PWCs.

Live plants aren't as hard as they seem. All you need is a CFL 6500k bulb with something to put that in. Those are easy to find, and there are lots of low light plants. I like java ferns for my tanks because they have big leaves for the bettas to hang on. I also like anubias, moss, moneywort (it's ok with low light), and floating plants are always loved by bettas. Even though it's hated by many, duckweed is actually a really great plant for bettas:)

I bet you're betta will have one heck of a tank, and a great owner to top it off(y) I'm just happy I could help:D

If you temp stays at 78 then it should be ok but take the water temp and make sure it doesn't drop The tank will be ok but thy do love bigger tanks fake plant are good but as said silk or material

The filter is it just a sponge or does it contain carbon

AquaKai said:
Yes the 2.5 will be good. Just do some extra PWCs.

Live plants aren't as hard as they seem. All you need is a CFL 6500k bulb with something to put that in. Those are easy to find, and there are lots of low light plants. I like java ferns for my tanks because they have big leaves for the bettas to hang on. I also like anubias, moss, moneywort (it's ok with low light), and floating plants are always loved by bettas. Even though it's hated by many, duckweed is actually a really great plant for bettas:)

I bet you're betta will have one heck of a tank, and a great owner to top it off(y) I'm just happy I could help:D

Thanks so much!

Shane l said:
If you temp stays at 78 then it should be ok but take the water temp and make sure it doesn't drop The tank will be ok but thy do love bigger tanks fake plant are good but as said silk or material

The filter is it just a sponge or does it contain carbon

It has carbon

Since you asked, I personally don't like anything less than a 5 gallon tank for a betta. They have lots of finnage to protect and, in my opinion and experience, smaller tanks just don't accommodate that finnage.

LyndaB said:
Since you asked, I personally don't like anything less than a 5 gallon tank for a betta. They have lots of finnage to protect and, in my opinion and experience, smaller tanks just don't accommodate that finnage.

I think I'll start with my smaller one and upgrade if it seems to be stressed or anything. :)

Back
Top Bottom