Betta tankmates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarah5775

Aquarium Advice Freak
I currently have a betta in a 5 gallon tank.

I would like to convert the five gallon to a second fry tank, and I was wondering what everyone thought about moving the betta to my 29 gallon. My lfs guy (who seemed really knowledgeable) said that he had many of the same fish I did and never had trouble, but I wanted to get everyone's opinion.

It is a crowntail betta.

These are the fish I have:

1 adult molly and 2 juveniles
2 adult platy and 3 juveniles
4 gold barbs
5 black longfin tetras
2 neons
1 otto

The tank has a bunch of java moss. It has been established for a year now.

What do you think? I could always try it and move the betta back if there is a problem, but it would really be great if I could keep him in there.

Please let me know.

You might be ok. You might not. It all depends on the betta. The fish on your list that causes me the most worry are the longfin tetras.

If you decide to change him over I would do it when you will be around for a few days to keep an eye on him. Even then he might get used to his new place in a week and start harassing certain fish.

So my answer is that I have no answer for you. It is a trial and error type thing.

I think the black longfinned tetras would be in trouble as would anything with longer finnage.

You may have problems with the barbs nipping the fins of your betta as well. But like was said, it depends on both the temperment of your current fish and the betta. Wouldn't hurt to try it out for a few days and keep and eye on things.

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom