Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
most likely,is the betta male or female? what species of tetra?

I was thinking of a male Betta. I have two albino corys one neon tetra and two tetras ( not sure what they are, the have a little bit of red). Also I am aware that these fish should be kept in a bit of a larger group.

should be alright, definitely finish up those schools (u already know that) what size tank?

sounds good, but its hard to know for sure, some bettas are great in community tanks, and some are aggressive

I was thinking of a male Betta. I have two albino corys one neon tetra and two tetras ( not sure what they are, the have a little bit of red). Also I am aware that these fish should be kept in a bit of a larger group.

Rummynose or Cardinal? Yeah they get weird when alone. I think it is a comfort thing. They like knowing they have a "posse" to back them up. haha

About the betta. The only way to know for sure is to do it. :angel:

As long as you acknowledge the fact that he might be aggressive, and have a plan to correct the problem. There is no reason not to. Just don't throw him in and expect him to obey you and your rules. Lol. Fish are individuals just like people.

I got alot of crap for trying it, but I prefer to learn through experience. Also, I had got him at a wedding reception and he was in a little vase. That didn't sit well with me. At the time, it was my 55 gallon or the little cup.

It does feel good to go against conventional wisdom though. The satisfaction is priceless when you have a fish tank that performs like a well oiled machine.

Tarkus2112 said:
Rummynose or Cardinal? Yeah they get weird when alone. I think it is a comfort thing. They like knowing they have a "posse" to back them up. haha

About the betta. The only way to know for sure is to do it. :angel:

As long as you acknowledge the fact that he might be aggressive, and have a plan to correct the problem. There is no reason not to. Just don't throw him in and expect him to obey you and your rules. Lol. Fish are individuals just like people.

I got alot of crap for trying it, but I prefer to learn through experience. Also, I had got him at a wedding reception and he was in a little vase. That didn't sit well with me. At the time, it was my 55 gallon or the little cup.

It does feel good to go against conventional wisdom though. The satisfaction is priceless when you have a fish tank that performs like a well oiled machine.

Thanks for your input!

I have a male betta with Neons and Glowlight tetras.
I also think my betta is lazy. He doesn't flare up at all in the tank(only did to the other male bettas in their cups at the store.)

I have a male betta with Neons and Glowlight tetras.
I also think my betta is lazy. He doesn't flare up at all in the tank(only did to the other male bettas in their cups at the store.)

If you want some entertainment. Take a mirror and place in front of him for no more than 5 minutes. Stand back and let the fun commence.

It may seem cruel, but it is actually beneficial for the Betta. It keeps them in shape and is good for the fishes confidence. If he scares the "mirror betta" away every once in awhile, he will feel like the king of his castle.

If you want some entertainment. Take a mirror and place in front of him for no more than 5 minutes. Stand back and let the fun commence.

It may seem cruel, but it is actually beneficial for the Betta. It keeps them in shape and is good for the fishes confidence. If he scares the "mirror betta" away every once in awhile, he will feel like the king of his castle.

We have tried the mirror. nothing. I am debating on printing off a betta picture and tape it to one side od the tank for a bit to see if that will work.

Albino cories reach 3" and are an active shoaling catfish that should be kept in groups of 6, or at the very least 4. I don't think your tank is large enough for them. It doesn't provide the length these often spazzmatic catfish will need. I consider 29 gals the bare minimum for them.

Tetras are schoolers so picking up 4 more of those would be a good idea.

IME smallish tetras and cories are ideal tankmates for bettas. Anytime you are introducing a betta into a community, it would be wise to have a back up plan. Though I've found most bettas will blend in great, there are definitely exceptions out there that just will not tolerate tankmates. If you cannot provide the betta a proper home in another tank in the event things do not work out, I don't think it's advisable to try mixing them with others.

Back
Top Bottom