Betta's and filters current

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carowoot

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got a beautiful new addition today, a red crowntail fighting fish with white throughout him and I decided to see how he'd go in my established tank. He's getting along nicely with my mollies and doesn't seem to be bumping into any other fish except for the dwarf guoramis. They haven't nipped each other, just chased each other away. I'll just watch them from now on.
Only issue is the filter. The poor guy has trouble getting anywhere when it's on. I tried adding more sponge and gravel but it hasn't helped enough. The only place he can be when the pump is on is the corner near the heater and a plant.
What should I do to solve this? I have to get a new filter for my other tank, what would you suggest? What kinds of filters have a low flow but still filter the water well enough for my other fish?Are there any other ways to slow down the flow of my filter? Or should i just give up and get him a smaller tank/put a divider in my 2ft (where my other betta lives all by himself(until I work out the filter.
I would like to keep him in this tank, as he is fine with the fish and so gorgeous!

what size is your tank and the type of filter? don't put beta's in a tank together, one won't survive unless you have a barrier between the two.

First, I like the idea of dividing the other tank. Although I'm a big fan of bettas in community tanks (I have one myself), the betta/gourami combo is really risky. On the list of worst tank mates for bettas, they're #2 after another betta. That said, each fish is different and it might work out fine.

If you decide to keep them together, make a baffle for your filter. Cut the top and bottom from a water bottle and remove the label (being sure to get all the adhesive off, of course). Then hook the bottle over the outflow of your filter. You might have to tie strings on the top of it and hook it over the filter to get it to stay. Mine stays on it's own. The idea is to direct the flow to the wall of the tank. It's a fairly common trick; if you google "filter baffle" you'll find pics and tutorials.

Hope this helps. :)

I should note - this only works with an HOB filter. With a canister, a spray bar directed to the back of the tank will also work.

Back
Top Bottom