BFF Fish?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:drain: I see a poor fate for millions for fish in the future.

I know. Thaqt is just what I was thinking. Apparently the kit does come with a brine shrimp kit as well, so that kiddos can also hatch some food for them. I'm just remembering the sea monkey kit I had as a kid that never came to fruition...
I found out that they are kilifish, and IF they get past the fry stage they are pretty hardy fish...
This website talks about them The International Killifish Association
"They have some of the most fascinating life cycles of any animals. Many of them live in temporary pools and streams and will deposit their eggs in the mud. The water will dry up and the eggs remain dormant buried deep below the ground. When the rains come next season, which may be many months, a new generation magically appears, seemingly from out of nowhere."

The first ones on the video were gold panchax, apochelius lineatus (think the spelling is correct) I have kept these for years. Best not kept with neons though they have big mouths I used to feed them crickets.

The second fish were northobrancus these are what are called annual fish as they only live for about nine months. This is because they live on flood plains.

Another type of killi you could try is aphosemian ( dunno about the spelling) these are just as colourful and live for a few years although the females are a blander than the males.

If you need any help mail me kept and bred killi fish for years.

The second fish were northobrancus these are what are called annual fish as they only live for about nine months. This is because they live on flood plains.

Another type of killi you could try is aphosemian ( dunno about the spelling) these are just as colourful and live for a few years although the females are a blander than the males.

If you need any help mail me kept and bred killi fish for years.

I really appreciate that you gave me this info! My kid really wants to try this, and I'm already leery, but I had no idea they only lived nine months... That's a little sad isn't it?
I think I've convinced him to just stick with the two baby platys I rescued from my tank at work. We are setting up his tank tomorrow, and are hoping it cycles quickly so the fry don't have to stay in the nursery net too long! The tank they were born into has enough fish already.

Back
Top Bottom