Bichir Help??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PreciousAri

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Somebody help me with this guy?!

Husband got him yesterday. Internet doesn't help much, they're pretty rare. So any information at all would be wonderful!

Also, he hasn't been eating, and we've tried to give him just about anything except for live fish. Help???

Night crawlers if he's little chop it up blood worms experiment although they are carnivores they like meat fish but if you feed it live fish I would breed my own guppies also you can not feed him feeders as a staple diet there has to be other things try sinking carnivore pellets or splurnia discs like I said experiment see what he likes but meaty beef heart etc.

Need more information.

1.What kind of Bichir is he? Grey Bichir? (Did you get him from walmart?)
2. What size tank?
3. Tankmates?
4. Is the tank cycled? What are your parameters? (Ammonia, NitrIte, NitrAte, temp & pH)
5. How big is he?

My Grey Bichir seemed to not eat at all for a while. I was really worried about him, but he must of been picking extra food up at night (I was still new and probably overfeeding, which I'm thinking saved him). He's 7" now and is a great little guy, very interesting to watch and he's very active. Grey Bichirs can grow over 12", so you'll need a big tank, something like 50g+.

If you answer my above questions (All of them please, even if you don't know just say that you don't know ;)) I'll give you the best help I can.

I had a Dino, that did great but unfortunately ich got him, but normally for you first introduce them or any type of fish like that they might not eat for a couple of days, but should start to eat when he gets used to the tank... And they do like to eat at night too.

steez said:
Need more information.

1.What kind of Bichir is he? Grey Bichir? (Did you get him from walmart?)
2. What size tank?
3. Tankmates?
4. Is the tank cycled? What are your parameters? (Ammonia, NitrIte, NitrAte, temp & pH)
5. How big is he?

My Grey Bichir seemed to not eat at all for a while. I was really worried about him, but he must of been picking extra food up at night (I was still new and probably overfeeding, which I'm thinking saved him). He's 7" now and is a great little guy, very interesting to watch and he's very active. Grey Bichirs can grow over 12", so you'll need a big tank, something like 50g+.

If you answer my above questions (All of them please, even if you don't know just say that you don't know ;)) I'll give you the best help I can.

No, I didn't get him at Walmart, I hadn't any idea they even sold bichirs. Frankly, Walmart shouldn't be allowed to sell fish. My Bichir is either a Senegal or Ornate, if that's not the same thing. I've got him in a good 60 gallon tank with a three inch Tiger Oscar. They both pretty mug leave one another alone.

My tank setuo isnmost definately not new, so its cycled very well. Even still, I check my parameters weekly or every other week to he safe; ammonia and nitrites are at 0, nitrates at 2.5 and pH of 7. My Bichir is well over a foot, 13 1/2 to 14 inches long. Seems like Grey Bichirs are among the smaller ones, I've heard mine can get up to 25 inches long.

A bit of food did disappear at night, though I don't know for sure who ate it exactly. Oscars can be a bit gluttonous. And I was also recently informed that bichirs can go a couple days without eating

Jeremy4208 said:
I had a Dino, that did great but unfortunately ich got him, but normally for you first introduce them or any type of fish like that they might not eat for a couple of days, but should start to eat when he gets used to the tank... And they do like to eat at night too.

I was told that, actually, and learned that they were more nocturnal as well. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom