Bio wheel turning very slowly...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thomasina

Aquarium Advice Freak
I notice this morning the bio wheel was turning very slowly. I decided to do a big water change on my 20 g tank. I went to swish the filter in the used tank water and it was so slimy that no water could have gone through. Had to get a new one out. I rinsed out the whole filter, wiped out the really bad slim, and put it back together. It works, but the wheel is still so slow and was told not to replace it. Yes, it is all correct, checked directions. Do I need to buy a new bio wheel? This is a planted tank, with 18 fish, all small. I skim the top every morning for floating leaves, yet my nitrAtes were up instead of the usual yellow. Haven't check since the new water. Used the right chem. to treat the water before. Any suggestions?:nono:

My 350 wheels were moving slowly so I replaced two cartridges and now they move like new, that's always my cue to replace them. I assume you only have the size that has one cartridge slot so if cleaning your filter didn't work I would clean the part that your wheel fits in to, if that doesn't work I would replace the cartridge with a new one and use the old one to seed it with BB.

I'm assuming you made sure the bearings are unobstructed. It doesn't matter if it's turning slowly, as long as it's turning; nor is water supposed to go through it. I think you'll find that the rotation will fluctuate in speed, as if it has its own mind. Swishing it out in old tank water is about all you can do. I had a 12g Eclipse that did the same thing.

David

Thank you once again. I did let the new filter lay in the old water and the really swished it. I cleaned the bio filter area with my fingers and a little toothbrush thingy. My bio wheel just sits, or is held up by these two little U shaped things, and I cleaned them out also. Swished it too, and it running just a bit better.
After having to lug 8 gallons of water to the sink and then another 8 to the tank, I am pretty worn out. Knowing that it does sometimes go slow helps. What do you suggest if it just stops? I have only had it for 6 weeks. I was told you should put a new filter in it but once every three weeks. Yet I have just put in a bunch of plants and they are loosing some leaves. This is not for old ladies!! Once again you have come to my rescue!! Thank you David!! Heidi:)

What do you suggest if it just stops?
You do not want it to stop. If it does, you'll lose beneficial bacteria from the area that dries up (even if it stays humid). Check to make sure you're not losing water flow. Is there an escape route anywhere? Some kind of overflow? Make sure the filter pad is clean and the impeller is not obstructed. I'm really thinking your filter is running on reduced water flow. A filter operating as it should will push enough water to move the bio-wheel.

David

Back
Top Bottom