Bioload capacity?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Montreal Aquarium

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just looking to get an idea of how many fish my 80 gallon tank could hold?

I am running a skimmer, an activated carbon foyer and a phosphate filter. I have 100lbs of live rock and the following fish + inverts:

2 clownfish
1 purple dottyback
5 Chromis
3 anthrias
1 six-line wrasse
1 cleaner wrasse
2 Kaunder Cardinals
Fire shrimp
Cleaner shrimp
Porcelain crab
3 x emerald crab
12 inch snowflake eel

Thanks!!

My guess would be maybe one more medium/large fish like a Dwarf Angel or Foxface. Every tank is going to be a little different. You are probably close to maxing out IMO.

I think your already there. But... If you don't have algae problems and your nitrates are always 0, you might be able to push it.

:( I will continue to monitor very closely. So far I have had 0 nitrates, but just added 4 fish a few days ago. How do you calculate the maximum population? Most of my fish are small, 1-2 inches.

there isn't really a way to calculate how many per gallon all fish have different habits and get to different sizes, some are swimmers while otehrs are more dormante, some graze on algae others need meaty foods.

if nitrates are low and things are not full sized and to cluttered you could look into adding more, but pay attention to their eatign habits and how much your skimmer is pulling out as well as your nitrate levels

Back
Top Bottom