Birdsnest growth question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kurt_Nelson

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know... this is a tough problem to have... :rolleyes:

I placed my green birdsnest (Seriatopora guttatus) high in the tank, since I only have PC lighting. Its growth has been way more than I ever imagined, and it's now less than 1" from the normal surface of the water. I don't want to move the coral because it's obviously very happy where it's at, and I like the look of where it's at.

My question is... what is this thing going to do when it hits the surface of the water. I know corals have no problem being out of the water for short periods of time - it happens when I do water changes, and it obviously happens at low tides in the ocean. I assume with natural reefs, the daily water level fluctuation "trains" the coral and limits its growth. But should I expect that in my tank? Will the coral reach the surface and then just table out?

Yeah... I know I can just frag off the high pieces (yes MsBeanCtr... I hear you, I hear you!) and keep it trimmed low. But I'm just curious what to expect if I do nothing.

As always, any advice from those that have been there already is appreciated!

I hear what you saying but my suggestion would be to frag it and make some money. I dont believe it will grow out the water.

I know it won't grow out of the water, but I'm guessing the tips have to hit the surface before they realize "Oops... better not go that way anymore." So what then happens to those tips? Do they die off? And would that then effect the rest of the coral?

I notice they tend to grow outwards at the water's surface, but only to a certain extent and begin growing from other areas (think briar patch for many).

Not a birdsnest...I don't think, but looks like a terrible problem to have...lol.
totm_1-08.jpg

from... Tank of the Month - January 2008 - Reefkeeping.com

Last edited:
you should frag some pieces and put them next to it, have it grow up and into it to get a nice huge colony.

Back
Top Bottom