Black Growths on Glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WBAC88

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was doing a PWC on my 65g planted tank this morning and noticed in one corner little, black, star-looking growths on the glass. There's quite a few of them, but they're all clustered in that corner. They're small, maybe a centimeter wide, and I can't get a good shot of them with my camera. They don't scrape off too easily, but I can get them off if I try. Are they a type of algae? Or snail eggs or something? Ideas?

Hm, alright. It doesn't seem to be spreading too badly, but I just found it today. What experience did you have with it? Did it have any harmful effects that you saw?

WBAC88 said:
Hm, alright. It doesn't seem to be spreading too badly, but I just found it today. What experience did you have with it? Did it have any harmful effects that you saw?

It's in my goldfish tank it gets too much sun so I got that algae I scrubbed it off with a sponge and I didn't notice any harmful effects to the goldfish

It's probably black bearded algae caused by too much light and too little CO2. If you can scrape it off that will work as long as you cut down the light. Otherwise more serous actions are needed. Check out other threads on subjrct

revchristinejday said:
It's probably black bearded algae caused by too much light and too little CO2. If you can scrape it off that will work as long as you cut down the light. Otherwise more serous actions are needed. Check out other threads on subjrct

Black bearded, alright, thanks a lot. That makes sense, since that's the corner of the tank that tends to get a ray of direct sunlight. I'll be better about making sure that the blinds are closed. That should help out. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom