Black Mollies Mating? *help!*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mollyfry21

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi Again! I made a post a few months back about my Molly fries disappearing.
Now that that problem is solved I now have a new problem months later.

I have 5 Molly fry (2 Male, 3 Female) in a vertical 15 gallon tank. (I just realized a month ago that I had 2 males after thinking they were all females Ha. :facepalm:)

They are all now 7 months old and I believe the males are now starting to mate??
I was under the assumption that males don't normally mate until about a year of growth?

This morning I noticed 1 of my males fighting the other male over trying to mate. I noticed that he was successful with 2 females but now he is continuously trying with no end. What should I do? I don't think a 15 gal would be large enough to hold more babies!

The only way to stop them mating is seperate males and females. If you dont do this, they will continue making more babies, and the babies will make more babies.

Im no molly expert, but i understand they reach maturity at a couple of months and should be seperated before this time. And females can store sperm and use this to continue making babies for several batches even after there are no males. If the male sperm is viable, then you could have babies for several months even if you seperate them now.

Back
Top Bottom