Black Moor eye injury :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

0Louis0

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My Black Moor had sort of an accident and hit her eye into some sharp plastic, and now her eye lens is ruptured
I'm talking about the completely outer transparent surface of the eye, it has a hole in it and it got a bit cloudy.
I'm reaally sad about it because it was kind of my fault.
Will it get healed?

Keep the water pristine and your nitrates as low as possible (under 10ppm, under 5ppm would be better). This may mean daily water changes. Depending on the severity of the injury, she may not regain vision in this eye but will compensate with her other eye and her sense of smell. Keep a close watch for signs of infection and fungus and make sure any sharp or plastic decor has been removed.

My old Black Moor became a cyclops very early in his life - I didn't notice he was missing one when bought - but didn't want to take him back - he had a good innings with no worries from his loss - he lasted 8 years and was active and alert.

I know she can live with one eye I once had a fish with no eyes at all, but I thought it might be healed because the eye itself, I don't know what to call it, I think pupil and iris are totally fine but the lense is the damaged part

When I was probably about 6 years old I was being really naughty and messing around changing the water in my mother's tank when she wasn't around, and I managed to accidentally suck a big chunk of her black moor's eye with the siphon hose :/ he was hurt and shook up so just went to hide for a while, but he turned out ok in the end. All we did was keep the tank really clean if I remember right, goldfish are usually really tough I hope yours is ok!

Ok when I woke up this morning I found the hole became much smaller, and few hours later it was all gone, but her eye is pretty cloudy and seems to be having a hard time seeing.
I hope it will get completely healed

Im really glad shes getting better, and even if she has permanently damaged her sight I wouldn't worry too much I'm sure she will be able to adapt just fine - it's really amazing how animals just seem to cope with things!

The cloudiness almost disappeared now and it seems that she can see normally.
Thanks for the people who posted, sorry for the unnecessary topic but I hope this will help any future asker.

Back
Top Bottom