Black/purple hornwort

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jordana12903

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,
My hornwort and gravel is turning black/purplish and I don’t know why. I have a 10 gallon tank with 3 serpae tetras and 3 zebra danios that are happy and healthy. No matter how many water changes i do the problem keeps persisting. Does anyone know why this is happening and how i can fix it?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 84
How long do you have your lights on? Is your tank by a window? It might be a type of algae.

It is by a window but the blind is usually closed. The light is usually on for about 10 hours a day.

For how long? It should be a permanent change because 10hrs is a bit much. Alternatively how much are you feeding your fish? That might be an issue as well.

I did it for 2 weeks and now I will make it a permanent change. I feed them twice a day.

Twice a day is likely more than they need.

Is the blackish stuff slimy. Does it look like the plant is rotting or is it something dark growing on the plant.

From the picture it does look like some kind of algae and you probably want to remove those infested sections of hornwort.

Also if blinds “usually closed” means they’re sometimes open, lol, the sunlight is likely part of the culprit. Even with blinds closed it likely gets some indirect light. Tanks by windows are very VERY hard to keep algae under control in.

Unfortunately those will not bounce back. That’s REALLY bad algae growth. Sounds like you don’t think it’s light. Most likely your water has way too much nutrients. Overfeeding, too much (powerful) light. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom