Black Sponge Good or bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Magma

Aquarium Advice Freak
picked up some live rock today and the guy pointed it out had a black sponge on it, he said he had it in his main tank for a while and it was very slow growing, is this a good sponge or bad sponge? the rock its on is about 5 lbs or so.

sponge

although you dont have a pic i probably have the same sponge.they are very black and yes very slow growing.when i setup my tank a while back i was poking around with a flashlight and found them in a corner with no light and a greyish white colour.so i rescaped and put them up high under t5 lamps and they are slowly expanding their region.no problem whatsoever .hth.ken

They are filter feeders. They will filter out some of the excessive nutrients.

awesome I got one thats bigger than a toonie on the new live rock I got last night from a fellow reefer.

so sponges do no harm? I have one about to overtake a kenya tree, I assume it is a sponge. will it choke out corals? sorry for the picture quality.

img_1183481_0_0a5e90acdd97a06ec99333e9aefb6049.jpg

i don't see anything overtaking a kenya tree. are you referring to the white or the orange?
btw, you could sell the thing that kills kenya tree coral for huge money!

There are bad sponges that will "choke out corals" and completely cover anything they touch. One variety is often called "chicken liver sponge" and I've seen certain white sponges spider-web across any hard surface.

so, that is all around the base of the kenya tree? i guess good or bad depends on how you look at it.

Back
Top Bottom