Black Tahitian Moon Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tifta

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have been looking at some substrates for my 10 gallon tank. I have been looking at the black tahitian moon sand. Does anyone have this in their tank? Is there a better alternative than this? I heard it is pretty hard on the filter and hard to clean before putting in tank. It seems pretty expensive!

Also I am looking for something like ratemyfishtank that i can go look at to get ideas for aquascaping.

My ten gallon tank was the first tank I every had, and now since I know more about the hobby, I'd like to make it look the way I'd like it too. :p

I have it and love it. It was a pain at first but now its great. As long as your fish arent big enough to really stir up alot of sand it will never get into your filter. IM gonna look to see if i have some pics on my computer or if i have to go locate my camera.

I have it and love it. It was a pain at first but now its great. As long as your fish arent big enough to really stir up alot of sand it will never get into your filter. IM gonna look to see if i have some pics on my computer or if i have to go locate my camera.

Oh cool! I'd like to see what the sand looks like in a tank. :p

I have the pics of before and after but i cant figure out how to post them. I knwo i gotta use a web site but i cant remember the one i use. I will email them to you if you would like.

Retaks, click the User CP link at the top. On the left hand side of the screen you should see Pictures & Albums, click that. Click the Add Album link. Give it a name, then click the Upload Pictures link. You should be able to browse to the file and click upload.

You can do it that way or like you said, host it elsewhere and link it. HTH. :)

OK thanks alot. I have the pics loaded on my profile now. Both the tanks are the same but Old Tank is natural colored gravel and New Tank is Moon Sand with a Black Background. Also Old Tank had Red Belly Piranhas in it but they are now in a larger tank at a friends house with about 6 more of the same size. New Tank has a 4.5" Black Diamond Rhom in it.

I used Tahitian Moon Sand (TMS) in a 10 gal Red Cherry Shrimp show/breeding tank I had, and I loved it. The black is VERY black, and the little reflective white specs in it really liven it up, especially if you have some good light on the tank. I only used a sponge filter in that particular tank so I didn't have to worry about the sand getting into the filter, but I wouldn't think it would be a big deal as long as you always turn off the filter while doing any tank maintenance that might be stirring up the bottom. As for the initial cleaning of it before putting it in the tank, I didn't find it any harder or easier than any other sand-type substrate I've tried in the past.

The only real negative to TMS is that it is completely inert, which means if you are going to be making this a planted tank you are probably going to want to supplement the substrate through fertilizer root tabs, since the plants can't draw nutrients from the TMS itself and, unlike a gravel substrate where eventually mulm gathers and helps to naturally fertilize, you won't see any appreciate mulm accumulating anywhere except on the surface of the sand which isn't going to really help nutrients get to the plant roots.

Another small issue is keeping the sand from going anaerobic. Having some MTS (Malaysian Trumpet Snails) is your best bet, they are very effective at this, won't eat healthy plants, and won't reproduce out of control unless you are overfeeding the tank. If you don't want to go the snail route, then make sure your substrate isn't too deep, and periodically use a stick of some sort to stir up the sand.

Overall, I love TMS and find it really visually stunning. If you decide you want a planted tank and would prefer a substrate that has nutrients built in to it, you could also consider Seachem's Fluorite Black Sand, which is the sand-sized version of their regular Flourite Black (gravel) substrate. I don't think the FBS has the same sort of little reflective white specs that the TMS has, but I've seen pictures of it and it seems to be just as black as the TMS, and is really packed with nutrients for growing plants so you eliminate the need to use root tabs.

Oh wow your tank looks awesome with that sand, Retaks! I will be buying this for sure! I think 20 lbs should be enough for a ten gallon tank? I won't be putting any live plants in, if anything some silk plants and rocks.

I don't mean to sound like a noob, but what is a sponge filter? Is that those sponges that you put on the end of your tube?

20 pounds will be more then enough. I have 60 pounds in my 55 gal. I would like to have a few more in there but I'm still very happy with it.

I don't mean to sound like a noob, but what is a sponge filter? Is that those sponges that you put on the end of your tube?
Usually it actually means a sponge with an air riser tube stuck in the top of it. Often it does mean a sponge stuck on the intake tube though.

Either way, make sure to clean it often in tank water. They tend to gunk up pretty good, which will make them into nitrate sources if they're not cleaned. I tend to stick the siphon hose on mine when I do water changes, then take it out for a good squishing once a month or so.

I got a few extra of those sponges that I will attach to the intake tube. I think that is a good idea. I wish they had a smaller bag for less, seems like a lot for 20 dollars. I am just glad I am not putting that sand in my 55 gallon tank, because that would get expensive.

I guess I should wash it with a hose and let it run clear in the water.

(y) Absolutely!! I had to do a friends pool filter sand about 20 times before it ran clear.

Oh wow, that is a lot of cleaning. I am not quite sure how I am going to clean this sand. I live in an apartment complex and we don't have a hose hook up.I might try and hook up my python to the sink and run the tube outside and do it that way.

Not a bad idea, either that or your bath tub or a nice neighbor with a hose you can borrow. I kept the hose running while I had my hand in the bucket stirring up stuff. I just let the water overflow off the top of the bucket. I would do that for a few minutes, drain it, and do it all over again. After about the 10th time it looked pretty clean but I figured it couldn't hurt to do more. I think I did it 20-25 times.

Good luck!

I'm not home right now but when I get home tommorow ill pm you about how to get the sand for cheaper and easy ways to clean it. I've been on my phone for the last few hours talking on here.

I got a small bucket. I would get killed if I used the bathroom to do my fishy things. but I guess I could lock the door so my boyfriend can't get in. He's a clean freak.

Retaks, yeah give me a pm, if I can get that stuff cheaper it would make me pretty happy! I get paid Wednesday, and that means some new sand for my fishies to play in!

OK thanks alot. I have the pics loaded on my profile now. Both the tanks are the same but Old Tank is natural colored gravel and New Tank is Moon Sand with a Black Background. Also Old Tank had Red Belly Piranhas in it but they are now in a larger tank at a friends house with about 6 more of the same size. New Tank has a 4.5" Black Diamond Rhom in it.
Wow that looks nice, it mad a big difference to me in how it looks. Well not that it looked bad before it just has more contrast now.

I have it in two of my tanks, I love it. No filter issues. I rinsed my buckets 5-6 times before adding it to the tank.

Back
Top Bottom