Blanket Over Aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hulka9

Aquarium Advice Freak
Im in college and my sleeping schedule is a lot later than most people. I dont wake up until around 11 or 12 and dont sleep until 2 or 3 am most nights. I like turning on the aquarium light after I wake up so i can actually enjoy the tank and turn it off around 10-11 at night. Problem is, the tank is in a well lit room. Come 6-7 am its pretty bright and I feel my fish don't get as long of a night as they should. Especially with my tv on until i go to sleep. I was thinking of putting a blanket over it when i turn the light off until morning when i wake up so it stays dark. My only concern is that the blanket could cut off some oxygen getting to the water. I know when we are under a blanket it is gets hard to breathe for us. Any thoughts?

I don't see any problem with this as long as you have something in the tank that will oxygenate the water. Like an air pump, plants or a decent amount of surface movement.

The filter should provide enough oxygen. If you run a bubbler, then you will be fine for sure. But I don't really see a problem :)

I have a pretty strong power filter and quite a bit of plants. From what i've read though at night the plants convert oxygen to co2 though dont they?

Unfortunately only a trial will tell but if the Co2 levels rise every night. Your fish may not die but may become slowly weakened. Just a possibility. I would put in an air stone so that you're pumping in air during blackout. That is what I would do.
I did have a smile at the thought of you tucking your fish up for the night - now that is really pampering your fish :)

I had the same sleeping pattern a few years ago and I used to throw a towel over it, it had an air pump and a trickle filter and all my fish were in really good health :)

Back
Top Bottom