blasting sand for Black Kuhli Loach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wildroseofky

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been trying to find some black sand locally but the only thing I can find is blasting sand from the local hardware store. They said it was silica sand. I talked to the local small pet store and she said she had ordered some but it would be two weeks or more before it came in. Then she said she wasn't sure if she had ordered any and she wouldn't know until then. She said she could get it but it would take a while. I want to get my new tank set up this week. Will blasting sand be all right for kuhli loaches? I don't have them yet but plan on adding them to the tank. I have ghost shrimp and mollies right now.

I could set the tank up without substrate or just the raised area of gravel I am planning on and do the sand later but I hate to keep moving my fish in and out to change things. It would be nice if I could go ahead and set my tank up all at once and change them over just once. I could order some aquarium sand but it would be expensive with shipping. Could I use the blasting sand and, then when I made it to Pestsmart, add a layer of regular aquarium sand? Would that work or would the loaches just dig down to the blasting sand?

Back
Top Bottom