blind cave tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

88mTransco

Aquarium Advice Regular
If a blind cave tetra has inflamed gills, mouth won't close, swims like a leaf in a breeze, show signs of Finn rot, red discoloration where body meets fins. It's about a year and a half old, 25 gal tank, water changes not a regular thing. What could be wrong?

Not my fish! A friend has this poor little guy... What can I do to save the blind fishy

Sounds like a serious water toxicity problem. Fin rot and inflamed gills are flashing neon signs warning that something's off with water parameters. If you can test the water for your friend with an API test kit, I'll bet ammonia and nitrite are off the charts. Huge water changes are likely the only thing that will save this fish. I'd suggest 50%, then wait two hours and change 50% more, adding clean, conditioned, temperature-matched water slowly into the tank each time. Then check parameters after an hour and post your results here so we can determine how to proceed. Good luck. :)

My fish had nasty disease like this. One fish got it and then the rest of the tank got it. They all died within one day after I got them. Dang pet smart!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom