Bloated danio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CrashCourse

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have this danio that has looked like she's carrying eggs, but she's pretty much looked like this for the past year. Her size has never gone down much. She seems otherwise healthy, and has no trouble swimming, so I'm not too worried.
Is it just eggs, or could there be something else going on?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389376167.400956.jpg

I would skip a few days of feeding to see if anything changes, maybe feed a cooked deshelled pea to see if that does anything.

This looks something more than internal blockage. Looks like dropsy to me.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have had many type of danios for years and never seen one that bloated but if its been like that for a year its probably not dropsy or some kind of parasite so I would not be that worried

Dropsy usually involves scales sticking out. And the OP says the fish has been like this for a year and is swimming and eating fine.

i definitely don't think it's dropsy.
if anything i was worried maybe she's not able to release the eggs? is that even possible?
i'll try the cooked pea tonight though.
like i said, i don't think it's urgent or dangerous, but it definitely doesn't seem normal.
thanks!

I apologise for not reading your initial post. Its been this way for awhile so i retract my dropsy diagnosis!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If she's acting OK and been like that for a year then she's probably just an exceptional danio. She has the same gene I have. The pot belly gene. But I like to eat and have a huge sweet tooth. Has she ever acted like she wanted to spawn? OS.

Back
Top Bottom