Blood parrot fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newtofish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi...i came home and founf lots of eggs on this flat rock. Some are white and some are gray. There are two parrot fish guarding them. Why? What do i do? I have 3 blood parrot fish and 1 african yellow cichlid in the tank. Who did what is a mystery. Any suggestions, please reply.

lol i think your parrots laid eggs. thats why there guarding them. Congrats!

From what I hear many blood parrot males are sterile, but the females will still lay eggs. Hopefully your male isn't sterile :) Good luck!

Blood parrots are man made fish and were made so that the males are sterile. The females still lay eggs but they need the male to seed them. Odds are that the female will give up on protecting them and they will become food. But is some rare cases males have become fertile and babies were born so that is still an option.

In the case that you do have blood parrot babies I would leave them alone and let nature run its course and let the strong survive and then keep them in your tank.

A lot of people frown on blood parrots because they are extreme hybrids and not saut after by fish enthusiasts

But good luck none the less

They may be frowned upon by some but honestly are a favorite of mine.
I have one, her name is Misty and she is lovely :) by far my favorite fish. She always greets me at the glass when I walk up to the tank and eats right out of my hand. Shes in a community tank and has never bothered any of my other fish despite being larger than a lot of them. Wonderful personality.

Oh believe me lol I know fish have personalities. I have some of the "meaner" labeled cichlids in my tank and they don't even nip at each other.

Hahah I know, they're so funny! You never know how a fish is going to act, you can only guess.

Back
Top Bottom