Bloodfin Tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adadkins1

Aquarium Advice Addict
Does anybody else have Bloodfin Tetras? I got 7 a while back and I was under the impression that they would school in the middle-upper area of the tank. However, mine have almost always stuck around the same part of the tank as my Glowlight Tetras (lower 1/3 of tank). Kinda ironic considering I got them to hopefully balance out my tank and stick towards the upper third. Now I have 17 schooling fish in the lower level of my tank and none at the upper area. :facepalm: Should I try filling their school out to 10 and see what they would do, or will that just mean I have 20 shoolers in the same area?

i had 6 bloodfins a while back in a 65 gallon. they wouldnt school but they would all chase each other and play "tag" lol. i would try uping the school of them, or you can get a center piece fish that is more aggressive and they might feel safer in a school, hope this helps!

I currently have them with a Pearl Gourami and they do school fairly often. My thing is they seem to stay lower than what I had understood. I may just go ahead and add some more.

Most tetras hang out in the lower half of the tank, despite what you read out there. Simply get a larger centerpiece fish that prefers the same space.
But even then, they may just school back and forth on the same level, just avoiding the bigger fish. Tetras are shoaling and just like being able to see there own kind, doesn't have to necessarily be close together.

I know that most tetras do usually stay a few inches from the bottom. However I've read and seen Bloodfins stay around the surface as previously stated.

I'm debating either adding a few more or tanking them back. Though my parents think it would be mean to trade them. I just don't like having a bunch of fish right at the bottom of the tank while there is nothing at the top/middle.

I have some in my office tank. They are all over the place. Do you have anything such as a strong current that is making them want to stay way from the top?

No, my filters have semi-clogged intakes and I am using a deflector so there isn't any crazy currents.

Back
Top Bottom