Bloodfin tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishliker

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all, saw some nice looking bloodfin tetras at lfs store yesterday. They were pretty and were schooling fairly tightly. Anyone have experience with them?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Hi all, saw some nice looking bloodfin tetras at lfs store yesterday. They were pretty and were schooling fairly tightly. Anyone have experience with them?

I love Bloodfins.
They are like most tetras and do best in groups.
They are a top dweller, just EXTREMELY fast and active, so they need a tank at least 30" in length. I "rescued" a trio a while back from Petco. One died from being chased into the glass by another one, and one jumped out. :(
The surviving one hangs with the rummy nose, so he is much mellower.

If you want to keep them they need a fair amount of free swimming space in the upper portion of the tank, (my error) but also be warned, they can drive some other fish to distraction because they are sooooo active.

After all that I will say a group of full grown bloodfins with that bluish silver body and bright red fins is awesome looking and they are definitely on my stock list when my 80 gallon gets set-up. (y)

Thanks, PB, exactly what I needed to know. I was thinking about them for my 29 gallon tank which is probably too small, and has 4 honey gourami in it... And they wouldn't like their being so fast. So I will put them on my list for my 55 gallon someday.

yeah, gourami's definitely wouldn't enjoy it because bloodfins like to play "tag" a lot and chase each other around like mad. LOL.

They're also hardier than most tetras and will tolerate a wider range of water temps (mid-60s to low 80s).

Bloodfins are my favorite tetra :) I've got a bunch in a 55 gallon. They love do playing tag but mine are not top dwellers. They stay in the middle of the tank and go to the bottom sometimes to hang with the glass cats. I had them in a 20 gallon for a little while and it looks like in smaller tanks they shoal quite tightly. In the bigger tank though they're all over the place playing :) They're so cute! They do seem to be very hardy though perhaps also tasty as I've had a couple just disappear...I do tank roll call every day (I know, I'm super weird lol) and have recently come up short while counting. They are small, so you might want to be careful with them around those gouramis!

Thanks to everyone for the info.! NiaCas, the honeys are with cherry barbs and I have pearl gourami with pristella tetras in a larger tank. Neither of those gourami have bothered any other fish. I once had a dwarf gourami who was beautiful and fun to watch, but he was aggressive with everyone in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom