Bloodworm Trick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

savage

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have an uncle that's been raising fish for 40yrs. He has 19 tanks in his basement. He told me of something he does when he has a party or gathering at his house. He likes to reach in the tank and smoosh some freeze-dried bloodworms on the inside of the tank and see his fish pick at it. He says his guests love it.

Well, I'm an experimental guy, so I tried it tonight. It was hilarious. The Glowlights, the Gourami and the Cory's hit a spaz button and had a hard time waiting their turn to get at the bw. I swear they were pouting after I only did it a couple of times. They hung out at that spot for several minutes waiting for the next one.

Anyone have any other tricks they do to get their fish to do crazy things?

I'll see if I can get one. I should have thought of that. I was so wrapped up in what I was doing.I'll give it a shot.

Dangit. I had my daughter ready with the phone, but couldn't get them to stick to the glass this time. Any secrets there? The first couple times it was easy. I'll try again tomorrow (didn't want to overfeed them). My daugther was laughing at them for acting like my beagle when I'm getting his treats or getting ready for a walk.

I'll be at the fs tomorrow anyway, so I'm going to grab some of the brine cubes too.

I do that from time to time with the cubes of freeze dried tubifex worms. It really is fun to watch.

hi, i got my fish tank for christmas and normally feed my fish flake food, but thought i'd try some frozen cubes, i'm not too sure what to do. some people say i have to defrost them whilst others say i an just put them in. also, i have only 12 fish and dont think i need a whole cube. how much should i give them?

helenmay said:
hi, i got my fish tank for christmas and normally feed my fish flake food, but thought i'd try some frozen cubes, i'm not too sure what to do. some people say i have to defrost them whilst others say i an just put them in. also, i have only 12 fish and dont think i need a whole cube. how much should i give them?

You need to defrost first! Eating frozen food can shock some fish to death. It brings their internal temperature down too quickly. When I feed frozen food I scoop out a cup of water from the tank to defrost the food in. Drop the cube in and let it sit for a few minutes to get it defrosted and around room temperature. Then I pour the water out of the cup into the sink and refill it with fresh tank water to rinse it off a little, and either pick up pieces to feed to the fish with a toothpick if it is a larger food, and just pour it in little by little if it is small food like brine shrimp. Brine shrimp should be rinsed very well, as there can be a fair amount of salt on them. As usual feed only as much as the fish can eat at a time. If you don't need the whole cube, cover it well and put it in the fridge, but I wouldn't keep defrosted food for more than a day or so. Just my two cents.

Hey, i have four cichlids in my tank which aren't meant to eat bloodworms and a tire track eel that loves them and has eaten a mix of them and brine shrimps its whole life. I got the cichlids last week and just carried on feeding my eel how i always have which is getting the frozen cube out the fridge, wiggling it around in the tank to defrost a little bit then hand feeding my eel. Now that i have cichlids that aren't allowed to eat the bloodworms really and would steal them all if had the chance i definately need to carry on feeding my eel this way, but is it bad?

Back
Top Bottom