Blue green algae blackout

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ryan87500

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have recently developed a bad case of BGA in my planted tank. I removed as much as I could with paper towels and sucked up what I could from the sand.

I am thinking of doing a 3 day blackout. I have a HOB filter and will add a air stone.

I assume the fish and plants will survive but I do have some ottos and Siamese algae eaters in there so this would kill other algae and their food source.

Do you think this is a good strategy?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I can't say whether or not it will do anything to the algae, but heathy fish can go several days without you feeding them.

I can't say whether or not it will do anything to the algae, but heathy fish can go several days without you feeding them.

Oh most can go much more than that ;) ive seen some fish easily go 3 weeks.

55 Gallon- Empty
125 Gallon- CKF and Tiger Oscar
220 Gallon- To come...

I have recently developed a bad case of BGA in my planted tank. I removed as much as I could with paper towels and sucked up what I could from the sand.

I am thinking of doing a 3 day blackout. I have a HOB filter and will add a air stone.

I assume the fish and plants will survive but I do have some ottos and Siamese algae eaters in there so this would kill other algae and their food source.

Do you think this is a good strategy?

Blackout plus a standard dosage of erythromycin should eliminate any BGA. You can find it at any pet store and it shouldn't affect the rest of your tank. Your fish should be fine too -- I did a 5 day blackout and my otos and their food sources were fine.

Blackout plus a standard dosage of erythromycin should eliminate any BGA. You can find it at any pet store and it shouldn't affect the rest of your tank. Your fish should be fine too -- I did a 5 day blackout and my otos and their food sources were fine.

I was planning on skipping the erythromycin. Hoping the blackout takes care of it plus plan to keep nitrate dosing up once blackout is over.

Cool, hope it works out. Erythromycin works well as a last resort but hopefully you won't need it!

Back
Top Bottom