Blue Jack dempsey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steeledarren

Aquarium Advice Activist
i fancy getting a blue jack dempsey, they look really cool, i want to research befor i get one though, i want a community tank but not sure that it would be ok in there, lfs said it would, but they were the same people that told me you add water, shake your hand in it to get clorine out, and your tank is cycled, haha, how they sleep at night is beyond me, anyway, i know they get big and can be agressive, but thats all i know at the moment

It is possible to keep EBJD's in a community tank as long as its an aggressive community. They are best kept in a biotope tank with CA cichlids i.e convicts, red devils and firemouths.

thankyou, i want to keep somm denisoni barbs and a few loaches, so i geuss its a no no on the dempsey then

Ill be putting an EBJD in my 250 with a bunch of semi-aggressive fish. There will be tiger barbs in there which is normally a no no, but I plan on doing two things...getting him when hes only an inch in a half and waiting about a month after getting the tigers. They are indeed not as aggressive than the reg-jack but depending on the size of the tank id still be careful. What size is the tank?

PS. I didnt get back to you on the PM cuz your question was awnsered in your thread. Hows the cycle going anyways :)

I don't know much about them, but my dad's killed all other fish in the tank with it. I don't think it is much of a community fish.

I would suggest a 75 for minimum but that's just me. If you provide enough hiding spots then I think you could be fine.

Back
Top Bottom