Blue tang or powder blue tang?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laki207

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am kinda new to the saltwater hobby but i have had one saltwater aquarium in the past. I am starting a 75gallon tank. It has a built in overflow and a 30gallon sump. I will be adding 60-75 lbs of live rock. After my tank cycles i plan on adding a yellow tang, bi-color angel, cleaner shrimp, lawnmower blenny, auriga butterfly, and a blue tang or powder blue tang. This is were i need some help. Ive heard alot about both of these tangs being prone to ick. I think both of these fish are amazing in color. Is there any special feedings or anything i should know. Let me know what you would recomend!
Thanks!!!

I totally agree with the above, both are too larger for a 75g. In fact, the yellow is questionable as well. I personally wouldnt put a tang in anything less than a 125g tank. The only exceptions are the bristletooth tangs, those I would put in a 75g wihtout a doubt.

That is a bad stock list. Ill change it for you. Instead of the blue tang get a kole tang because they get smaller and should be ok in a 75 g. Instead of the yellow tang get a one spot foxface because they are yellow and very very cool. That butterfly might be a bad idea because of how hard they are to keep alive and if you are new to saltwater i would nooooot try it.

Thank guys and girls! Alot of help!
And i have seen alot of videos of blue tangs in 75 gallon aquariums? I mean my local fish shop told me a blue tang would be fine in a 75gallon.
Also ive had a butterfly before and he did amazing. So im not worried about that

Okay, i know u have made ur suggestions, and i am going to post pictures in a couple weeks when it is set up. If the tang does bad then i will return him. If not then ill keep him.

I've seen tangs do good in different tanks, so either way good luck with your tank

Okay. I can totally see your point in the matter. You want a tang because every great tank has one, they are beautiful, etc etc etc etc.

Here are the negatives. Having a blue tang in a 75 gallon tank is a bad idea because that tank is small and it will stress out the fish. This will lead to ich and ich will infect every fish in your tank. If not treated properly, it will kill everything and you will wish that you never got the fish. Even if you return the fish right when you see the ich it will already be in the system and your other fish will get it.

I wanted a tang for my tank but decide against it due to this reason. Trust me, there are many many other big fish that will do GREAT in that tank. Even other types of tangs like a kole or bristletooth, but blue tangs are KNOWN for getting ich when introduced into the tank.

Goodluck with everything. If you decide to get the tang i have a feeling that i should explain to you how to treat and help prevent ich.

Back
Top Bottom