Blue tiger shrimp no longer blue?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

platycrazy19

Aquarium Advice Activist
A few months ago I purchased a Blue tiger shrimp. At about a month I noticed that the blue coloration was almost gone. It looked more clear with black strips then anything. My water parameters so I didn't really know what to think. But I looked at it today and noticed that it's color is more white then clear with black strips. Is there something wrong with my shrimp? It seems healthy but i'm sad to see that the blue coloration is completely gone.

When shrimp turn white )at least ghost shrimp) it means the water is bad or they are sick.....

Shrimp love clean fresh water. Whenever they act funny, pwc. If my shrimp started to lose color first thing I would do is a water change. On my shrimp tank I do a water change either every day or every other day (I'm sure some people think this is excessive, but it seems to help), given I'm trying to get them to reach maturity and breed, clean, fresh water will do wonders for shrimp. It keeps them the healthiest and most colorful.

While clean water is always important, it sounds to me like it may be getting ready to molt.

HN1 I didnt think about that. My RCS dont change that much when the molt but I havent had BTS yet....

Caridina are a bit different than neos like RCS. They shouldn't take a month, but I have seen them sort of "cloud" prior to a molt. Also, "blue tigers" have been reported to fade back towards the wild type coloration though I haven't seen that myself with ours. One of my favorite things about them is the variety of morphs that they throw.

What type of decor, background, etc.? Any chance for a pic of the shrimp?

My decor consists of blue and black gravel, live plants and some driftwood. I attached some pictures of a before picture and an after picture. One thought I did have is that the tannins from the driftwood caused a change in color for my shrimp but it was just a theory.

Attachments

• IMG_3160.jpg
    IMG_3160.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_3172.jpg
    IMG_3172.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 113
I can't really tell in the first pic, but the second does definitely seem a bit "whiter" than tigers that I've seen. Even our regular tiger shrimp are more creamy to tan other than the stripes.

This first picture it what he looked like when I first got him and then the second picture is what he looks like now

Sadly I lost my Blue tiger shrimp last night. So the funny color must have been a sign that he was sick. Not sure what happened my water parameters are fine and all my other fish look healthy. I guess i'll never know.

Sorry for the loss. Maybe it was just at the end of the lil shrimps lifespan.

Back
Top Bottom