BN Plecos and sword plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RackinRocky

Aquarium Advice Addict
My other thread deals with BN plecos and the way they clog my Penquin filters. (I may have to change filters--we will see). But before I do anything, I have a sword plant in my 55g. and I want to move two of my three plecos into that tank, and keep one pleco in my 20 g. BUT... I've read that BN plecos will sometimes munch on sword plants but not others. So that is the only hold-up on me transferring them. My anubias look terrible from a salt/heat treatment for ich some time ago. They never bounced back, so the only other plant I have in there is a sword. Do BN generally eat swords, or if I give them plenty of greens, will they stay away from them?

I have two BN Plecos in separate 20 Longs that both have various Sword plants in addition to several other plants. Neither of them have ever bothered to scrape algae off the leaves, much less eat the actual plants.

While I have been known to give them some zucchini or cucumber from time to time, I don't think its often enough that its acting as a "plant substitute". Honestly, I think that as long as they have some driftwood, algae wafers and shrimp pellets, then they're pretty content.

Thank you Coyne! You have helped so much, and I think I'm going to try it. They will have driftwood, algae wafers, sinking wafers and shrimp pellets. I also feed blanched zucchini, so think I'll keep doing that too. If anyone has had problems with sword eating plecos, please post!

Back
Top Bottom