BN Plecos - what have I done?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Linwood

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Tank #2 (220G) had several plecos, they have babies periodicially, and usually 0-2 survive, so I have a few more. No big deal, big tank.

Tank #1 (45) had one lonely female, so I moved in a male and a breeding cave. I saw nothing much happening, but looked last night and it is FILLED with little plecos. I can't count well as it is hard to see, but 20-30.

Now they MAY get eaten - there's a Raphael cat in there, two angels and some serpae tetras. But the father is keeping them inside pretty long (they are larger than the free-roaming ones in tank #2 were when we first saw them), and I am going to guess i may have way too many in the near future.

So here's my question - how soon can they be relocated? Just once out of the cave, can I bag up a few and take to a club auction? Or do they need to be of a certain size to survive the transition?

Now frankly the big unknown is the cat fish. The angels, surprisingly, are not that aggressive (i added a bunch of shrimp and other than the first moments, they lost interest -- but they were all gone the 2nd morning (didn't look the first) and I am fairly sure the catfish did it). So it may be as soon as they exit they become lunch. So my over-population problem may be self correcting.

But if not... just want to know the proper time to move them.

The father moved and I got a couple of photos:

i-5gWH3JT-X2.jpg

i-K6fBmkq-X2.jpg

Looks nasty lol a lot of little babies!

Check out my introduction to view my tank!

Im not sure, I would imagine you should give them 2-4 weeks to acclimate to life, but I will take one off of your hands!

Ooh I might be able to get one as well. Just gotta setup that 55g...

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Water plants and fish going in my 55g this weekend!

Lucky! I don't have the stand yet but my uncle gave me a 55g and a 45g for FREE! With some nice HOB filters and other accessories. I'm very happy.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

By the way, within 24 hours of exiting the cave they were all gone. I THINK the catfish (Raphael) ate them, as he's the only thing big enough to eat them all and not explode, but not sure (other possibilities were two Serpae tetra and two SAE, and the parent Pleco).

Back
Top Bottom