Bolivian Ram-Beginner or Expert?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MadTurtle

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I have a 40 gallon breeder that is cycled and has 6 red eye tetras currently( I plan on adding 8 more) with a sand substrate, some dragon stone, two pieces of driftwood, and some small plastic plants. My stocking plans are as follows
14 red eye tetras
6 corydoras
1 Bristlenose pleco
Bolivian Rams??
I have seen information that BR’s are extremely hard to keep, and others say they are easy. Also how many is a good number to get as I hear they are happier with a few of there own kind.
I do weekly water changes of about 25% and am running an aquaclear 50 with sponge, filter floss, supplied media along with some seachem matrix .

Bolivians are far more forgiving than their German cousins. They're not "easy" but they'll do jutlwt fine in a clean, well cycled tank with frequent wcs.

I'd plan on a pair. Since as juveniles they are often hard to sex. And if you get 2 m and 1 f for example, they'll bully her to death trying to mate. They're peaceful cichlids. Which means they're like po'd tetras all the time, lol

Back
Top Bottom