Bolivian Rams recommendation for 30 Gal community tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

23jim

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am setting up planted 30 gal tank with 18 tetra, 5 corys, pleco, and some Bolivian Rams. I don't know if I should do two or three. I don't know if they can be sexed when they are about 1.5 inches but if so, what should I get M-F, M-M, M-F-F, etc. I don't imagine they will breed as my water is hard and alkaline (>7.5)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jim

I would do m/f or m/f/f or a pair off both but not to males a one female,I have m/f/f gbr in a community an they all get along.look at my profile if u would like to c what I have with them

So if I just get two and don't care about breeding, they should be fine?

I love Bolivians. Mine are definitely some of the most rewarding fish I have ever had. But, to answer your question properly, we need to know what kind of tetras/corys/pleco you have. :) There are tons of species of those fish that come in all different sizes with all different temperments, and that should factor into you decision. :)

The fish I plan to have with the Rams are 12 Cardinal tetras, 6 Black Neon tetras, 5 skunk cory's, 1 Bristlenose Pleco or 3 Otto's.

Thanks

Ok. :) So, if you do not want care about them breeding, I would suggest getting 2 of the same gender. I have kept male together without an issue. I currently have 2 males and they are fine together. Honestly, I don't think thats enough space for 3 and the corys. If you want to try 3, I would go with all males. Just be aware that no matter what you do, there is always a chance you will get an especially fiesty one and you could have to look into re-homing. :) Also, Bolivians are notoriously hard to gender.

To should be good, I have 3 peppered corrys ,2 Julie corrys 1 bn,4mollys,3 gbr.10 neons 3 glowlight tetra and a clown loach and they all get along fine

Thanks everyone. I have yet to add neon tetras (switched from cardinals). Anyone have a top swimmer recommendation? Dwarf gourami maybe? Are they too shy or aggresive ?

Were you looking at schooling fish or a single fish???

IMO paradisefish are very colorful and hardy. Not sure how they would do temp-wise with your rams though.

Looking for single peacefull fish that does not just hide all the time.

Would a male be aggressive toward any of it's tank mates?

i have 7 male dwarf gouramis in a community tank with 2 gbrs and 3 xray tetras 2 platys and 2 sail fin mollys. the dwarf gouramis get along with all the fish. no aggression at all but they all grew up together. i don't know if that makes a difference or not. all my fish are males.

Back
Top Bottom