bosemarian rainbow's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blazeyreef

Aquarium Advice Addict
hey all, I have always wanted just 2 or 3 bosemarian rainbow's, but never had any because I read SOMEWERE (apparently wrong) that they got something like "8 or something.... and now I know a lot better, so my question is, could I have 2 or 3 in a 20 long? (maybe a m/f pair ?) thanks

They would not work in a 20 Long, they are a large active fish and should be in a 48" long tank minimum. They get a stocky 6"+.

I agree with Michael. They can reach 4-6 inches which is too large for a 20g long. I'd go with a 3ft tank minimum....4ft would be a better minimum IMO though.

Mine are about 4 inches now, and I expect another 1-2 inches on them. Very active fish, sorta likes to school. My vote is:
JustOneMore20 said:
a 3ft tank minimum....4ft would be a better minimum IMO though.

i have never even heard of a 6" boesmani... where are you all getting this info from? on the bowheads page linked to above it says 4-5", my favourite rainbow site says usually only reach 10cm (http://members.optushome.com.au/chelmon/Boesemani.htm). as far as i understand, they are one of the smaller ones. however, the activity level is very true, and you'd want to give them swimming room anyway.

I get the info from looking at them in my tank. They are not one of the smaller ones like a Preacox or Celebese, they are a very good size. Don't know what else to say, I couldn't imagine mine in a 20 gallon long.

thanks all! I was just asking because I had seen a pair in a 20long the other day and was currious! I thought they got bigger but was double guessing myself! thanks

i think there was an AA member who kept one with some BIG fish, in a BIG tank. It reached 8 inches or something... i'm trying to find the thread, i swear i have seen it somewhere.

Anyways, no on the boesmani..

these type of fish grow larger if kept in captivity in large tanks if not they grow rather fitting to their environment. I would recommend the preacox
Males are easily distinguished from females by their brighter colours and longer and more elongated dorsal fin rays. May reach a maximum size of 15 cm, but usually less than 10 cm. Males are usually much larger and deeper bodied than females. Spawning females produce between 100 and 200 eggs. Eggs adhere to water plants and hatching occurs around 6-7 days at temperatures between 24 to 28° Celsius.

WEBCAM
http://www.loumarks.com/rainbowfishcam.html

Back
Top Bottom