Boston area LFS's? and a sump question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tjash

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone - total saltwater newb here. I have a 75g fw turtle setup, but there's an empty 55g in the basement gnawing at me. Decided to fill it with something, and the girlfriend threatened immediate singledom if I got a lizard or snake. So... I figured that I have too much time and money on my hands, and joining a cult is so yesterday... why not start a sw tank?? In the next few weeks/months I'm sure you'll all dive for cover when you see my posts, since I'm going to have a lot of questions.

My first: anyone have any recommendations on a good sw LFS in or near Boston, MA? I usually just go to the local (evil congolomerate) PetSmart for fw supplies.

Secondly, and less important at this stage, since I have a ton more studying and researching to do, but: Is a 20g sump big enough for a 55g tank?

Thanks in advance for your help and patience! What a great site - I've really enjoyed browsing the threads so far!

-jason

WELCOME TO AA
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :fadein: :fadein:
yes to the sump question...
are you making your own sump? there are some good write ups about doin that if you are.

Yeah, I want to keep the heater/skimmer, etc in a hidden sump, to keep the display tank less cluttered. Doesn't seem too complicated - set up an overflow on the main tank - rig/valve an appropriately sized pump in the sump to return water... voila. Maybe add some extra lr bits in the sump for added filtration.

Am I oversimplifying, or is that really all there is to it?

As far as local area stores. I grew up in Salem, Ma (now in Methuen) and PJ's on Route 1 has decent priced dry goods. They have a HUGE selection of freshwater but only one row of sw livestock. They can pretty much order anything you want though and they shouldn't be too pricey. They're probably the closest to you.

If you ever get the chance, hike out to Tropic Isle in Framingham. HUUUUGE selection of fish. A little pricey, but its worth the trip to see their selection. Their website is www.tropicisleaquarium.com

My recommendation, although its a bit of a drive if you live in Boston, is Aqua Addicts in Salem, NH. It's right over the NH border. Small store - but, its dedicated to just saltwater and reef aquariums. Very specialized, very knowledgable, really great prices. You can go to aquaaddicts.com and sign up for their weekly emails - they'll email you every Tues or Wed with a list of new arrivals with size and price. Really classy group of people work there.

There is also a place on route 28 in Salem, NH called SeaWorld. They have a really nice selection of sw fish, but very high priced. Their medium sized Zebra Moray was $150 - AquaAddicts, around the corner, had one for $80.

Basically, if you are going to buy an expensive and/or delicate fish or need a big clean-up crew (their clean-up package for a 55gal would be $60) - check out AquaAddicts in Salem, NH. Its a small store but prices and knowledge is well worth the trip. Save on taxes too.

Sorry for the long post.

- Skins

skins - thanks for the info! I'll check them out when I get the chance. I've been like a zombie wandering around stores the last couple of weeks. pretty overwhelming sometimes!

Here's another sump question for the general population -

Is a separate pump necessary for a sump? Or, can you use a powerhead in the main tank and just use and long suction line?

You need to pump up not suck up.....
how are you going to get the water from the tank down?
Over flow box or have the tank drilled..... I reccomend drilling.
It sounds easier then it is.... glad to see your taking your time before jumping in.

Do you plan on having corals? If so what type of lighting and have you thought about getting, what type of water filter if you plan on corals....

Not planning on starting with corals. The tank will be FOWLR.

Is supplemental filtration needed for a FOWLR? or is the LR enough to do the trick, with the right circulation? I think I'd still like to do a sump, just to get the clutter out of the tank and provide a little extra water.

Should I have a skimmer in a FOWLR setup? Or can I just siphon the water down to a sump (with some LR rubble) and then pump it back up?

I've seen some pretty fancy designs with bubble-baffles and in-sump refugiums. Can you forgo all of that and just put a skimmer in an open sump?

EDIT - looking into a 65 gallon. If I can find one reasonably priced, I'd prefer drilled/RR, but will settle for a HOT overflow box

Back
Top Bottom