Bottom Feeder ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coleallensmom

Planted Tank Enthusiast
My 37 gallon Tall has 11 Pristella tetra, 7 Black Skirt tetra, 7 Black Neons, 4 Zebra Danios, and 3 Zebra Nerite snails. The tank is pretty fully stocked IMO and my snails seem to do a good job taking care of what little algae that grows.. However, I have no bottom feeders and now that I am turning my tank into a fully planted tank, I was thinking of rectifying that by introducing a few shrimp. Thoughts? I assume that their bio-load would be small enough that it wouldn't impact the tank greatly.. Which leads me to a million questions begining with- what type should I get and how many? (Tell me what I need to know!)

I only have experience with ghost shrimp, they are great scavengers and peaceful.

You should look at red cherry shrimp and amano shrimp as well. Another option is to check your LFSs see what they have and then post it here so that people can give you feedback on that particular species.

Still, ghost or RCS will probably be easiest to find. As for how many, I would try 5 or so (I have 7 ghost s. in my 20gal), you can always add more later if you feel your tank can handle it.

Just my 2 cents, hopefully some more experienced people can chime in.

From what I have read the cherry shrimp are hit or miss. I mean they are great and all but may not be safe. Anything bigger than a neon might try and make them a snack. I just picked up some ghost shrimp for my tank today though...I will let you know how they go...And they were only like 60 cents a piece.

Ghost shrimp are awesome little guys. I have them in three of four tanks. They are twenty cents at my favorite LFS and are very resilient. You could go with like five and see if that fits.

Shrimp would be a great choice. Adults should be fine with your stocking and as long as there are adequate hiding places, plants, etc. some babies may make it.

Try it with a few ghost shrimp to check. Then if they work, look at the other (more expensive) types that you like.

Most species sold as "ghost shrimp" do require brackish for their larval state, but not all. The ghost shrimp would be the canary in the mine so to speak to confirm whether or not the fish would mess with adults. I absolutely guarantee that any shrimplets the fish came accross would be snacked on.

I have a thriving population of RCS in my 20L with guppies and panda cories. I guarantee you that I lose some shrimplets to the fish, but RCS breed readily and the shrimplets hide in the java moss and the filter. I bought 20 RCS about a year ago and, despite the predation, I've got enough to maintain the population in the 20L, start a dedicated 5g shrimp tank, and trade some for BPS.

I'm not sure shrimp would fulfill the niche as bottom feeders. They do walk around on the bottom, but they're usually up in the plants. My shrimp are actually the messiest critters in my 20L. Their waste sinks straight to the bottom and doesn't get picked up by the filter. I rarely see fish waste in the tank, but the sand is riddled with shrimp waste. Even so, they don't produce much bioload. The nitrates in my shrimp tank rarely show at all.

If you want a strict bottom feeder, get some cories. I'd still recommend adding the shrimp though. They're really interesting to watch and they add a splash of color. My female RCS are blood red with an occasional white racing stripe against a dark background and my female BPS are dark blue, almost black with a yellow stripe. The BPS don't seem to care what color they're up against.

Most species sold as "ghost shrimp" do require brackish for their larval state, but not all. The ghost shrimp would be the canary in the mine so to speak to confirm whether or not the fish would mess with adults. I absolutely guarantee that any shrimplets the fish came accross would be snacked on.

Oh, thank you. I didn't know that there were different types. Well, I guess that information will help her out some. Personally, I haven't seen any baby shrimp out of mine. So, I guess I got the kind that needs brackish.

Thank you for all of the input, everyone!

I ended up picking up 5 ghost shrimp last night at my LFS, so we will see what happens. They swam around a bit last night but I've only seen two out and about today...They seem to like hanging at the base of the Rotala plants in the back of my tank. The fish seem curious about them, but I've not seen anyone harrassing them, so hopefully the rest are just hiding some place where I can't see them!

Not only are ghost shrimp great scavengers, but they are very entertaining to watch. Mine "play" throughout the full water column, and are active 90% of the time the lights are on. They can be a bit greedy when it comes to food, but they usually let go of part of their stockpile for a fish, just not each other. I think I paid $0.36 each for mine, and they definately are the best value in my tanks!!

redfisher1139 said:
Not only are ghost shrimp great scavengers, but they are very entertaining to watch. Mine "play" throughout the full water column, and are active 90% of the time the lights are on.

Hopefully mine do the same!

There are three out this evening instead of just the two I saw throughout the afternoon, so maybe they are getting more comfortable with their new home!

It's been a week+ and my new ghosts are now very active within my tank...certainly entertaining to watch. Thinking of trying to get some RCS next time I am out. Anyone with opinions on what would be a good amount to get?

Back
Top Bottom