Bottom of the fish tank goop?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Linamints

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there, recently i've been a bit busy and my tank hasn't been getting routine cleaning.
I've just recently (maybe 2-3 weeks ago?) upgraded to a 1.5 gallon aquarium with a filter for a feeder fish i've been raising for a few years as i felt she had outgrown the bowl.

Recently i noticed an odd....goop forming in one spot at the bottom of her tank.
i took a picture of it:
img_1648340_0_2405a20577af5d5fa8bd1fcccb34d0ca.png

Sorry it's so dark.

The goop was concentrated around the filter tube. I'm not sure if it's relevant but the filter tube doesn't reach the rocks, she was in a little fish bowl for awhile and i haven't had the time/money to go buy her more to make the tank more full, so i just took what she had in the bowl.

Right after i took the picture i did as detailed a cleaning job as i could to get rid of the goop. Scrubbed the filter (i think the tube was even clogged by this stuff x.x) changed the cartridge, cleaned the rocks in a strainer, scrubbed the plants. and did a substantial (not full, i know she needs her bacteria) water change.

it seems to be gone for now, and Lili didn't seem sick or distressed by it but i'd still like to know what it is in case it comes back or might have made her sick.

I just thought I'd post an update.

The goop grew back since I posted this thread. I noticed that it seems to gravitate towards food on the bottom of the tank. Lili likes to eat off of the bottom and won't eat the flakes that are floating at the top or falling. I'm trying to feed her less so that there isn't as much, but she just doesn't eat if its floating.

As far as I can tell, it's a slimy substance that isn't quite as cloudy as it looks in the picture, but is noticeably cloudy. It is really really thick in some areas, so it's not just a thin coating on the rocks.

Here's a picture that has been enhanced so you can see it a little better.

img_1660968_0_576d5769a49d503cab6d7e606156bcae.png

It's hard to tell if it's white or brown in the picture.

Brown: diatoms. Normal to see in a new tank set up. Keep cleaning an they should go away after a while.

White: possibly planaria. An aquarium pest. Clean the tank really well and often for a while and they should o away. Also feed a bit lighter.

I would suspect mould...if you are feeding her sinking pellets and letting it sit, even for 24 hours it could start the growth of mould! Mould will be hard to get rid of as they reproduce via spores, you may think your tank is clean and it may look clean but you may have missed spores that are not seen by the naked eye...sorry I do not have a remedy for this....

A goldfish, or hardly any fish for that matter, does not belong in a 1.5g tank. Neglecting to perform extremely stringent maintenence, including large frequent water changes and gravel vacuuming, is a sure death sentence for anything in a space that small.

Are you familiar with the concepts of cycling a tank, water testing, gravel vacuuming, etc. ?

Alrighty, She is relatively small and this tank is a fairly big upgrade from her fishbowl but i'll keep that in mind.

I will double up on my tank maintenance and try to assign a day of the week in which to do a partial water change.

Yes i am familiar with cycling a tank, i was directed to research it a couple of days after i set up the aquarium, and i'll shamefully admit i don't think i did it right when i set the tank up (i followed the booklet which seems different than most cycling things i've read). Yes on the water testing i am out of strips though.
And for the gravel vacuuming i was told i did not need a gravel vacuum because i don't have an UG filter.
I've hand cleaned the gravel quite a few times though.

You would have to perform daily water changes, frequent gravel vacs, and extensive water testing using a liquid test kit (such as the API master kit) in order to maintain minimal water quality with a fish in a tank that size. Goldfish in particular are very messy fish and require lots of room to thrive. I would either upgrade to a much larger tank, or if financially incapable, rehome the fish to someone who can provide appropriate space for it.

It's unfortunate, but it is the reality of the situation :(

I had the same problem in my old tank when I was first learning. It's caused by uneaten food that decays and causes the mold to grow. It's a sign that you're overfeeding. Try to keep up with the cleanings and feed a lot less. If it's just one feeder fish in there then it only needs a teeny teeny tiny amount of food. I'm talking like one large flake crushed up will probably do it.

What percentage water change per day? And would it be better to do this at a fixed time for familiarity for the fish? I'm also concerned that much tank activity is going to stress her out.

That aside, i am looking for advice on the particular issue at hand, i am aware of most of what you've mentioned.
I have maintained this fish for over 4 years now and she's been in perfect health the entire time.
My concern right now is whether this strange cloudy substance might endanger her health, as I, nor anyone else with aquarium experience can identify what it is.
Aqua thank you, i'll try decreasing her food in take.

She was one of those buy a few for a dime feeder fish (she was supposed to be snake food for my brothers snake but it didn't eat her so i asked my brother if i could have her), so i'm not 100% sure. She does have a similar shape to the common goldfish so i'd guess she's one of those.
She is definitely not a fancy type though.

Back
Top Bottom