Brackish Plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aysvin

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm planning on setting up a 20 gallon long tank for my F8 puffer fish and, to help control the nitrates, I would like to put in a few live plants. I've heard that Java Ferns and Anubius (did I spell that right) are ok in brackish water (despite what the Petsmart guy says).

Are there any true brackish plants that I can easily get or are the two I listed above the best bet? I know where else to get them besides Petsmart where they'll probably be healthier despite having a few snails possibly hitch a ride. Those can be easily taken care of though.
Bruce Banfish will eat them off. :fish1:

According to that list both the Java Fern and Anubias are ok for my tank, as well as others! Thank you for your help!

If anyone has preferences they'd like to share I'd be happy for feedback.

I have a small brackish tanks and I actually have a wide assortment of plants for such a small tank. As long as the plants are introduced slowly to the new conditions of fresh to brackish, water sprite, micro sword, dwarf sag, java moss, java fern, anubias (I have a nana, and a few others that were given to me so im not sure the actual type) and (less successfully) wendtii can all work in brackish. We cautious with your wendtii though. Mine suffered some heavy crypt melt. Though its still alive, I have some work to do to get it back. Water sprite grows like a weed, and the dwarf sag and micro sword have suffered no ill effect and grow very well in brackish conditions.

I sort of had luck with java fern in my puffer tank when it was brackish ( I keep gsp's and they are full marine now). They grew well and even started growing little baby plants on the edges of the leaves but the puffers started nipping them. It looked like someone took a hole punch to all of the plants! And then there were tons of little cut out circles of leaf floating around. Not sure if the f8's might do the same. I did have excellent luck with Marimo moss balls in there though. They grew better than the one I had in a fresh tank did. Unfortunately I forgot about them when I went full marine and that killed them.

Back
Top Bottom