Brackish tank help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

raverain

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello again all! I have finished setting up my 75 gallon and the 35 gallon underneath it. Everything that was in my 40 gallon tall has been moved to the 35 in order to set the 40 up as a brackish tank. I have a few questions, though.

Is it possible to acclimate FW snails to brackish water? I plan on keeping green spot puffers but I don't want to cycle with them. Also, they like to eat snails, so I'd like to get a bunch (a friend with a planted tank has snails EVERYWHERE).

My other question is on compatibility. Anyone know if African gobies can live with puffers? I read that if they have a lot of hiding places they will do fine, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with either species.

Thanks in advance!

Most nerite species thrive in brackish water, but most FW snails will not tolerate much salt, even if acclimated slowly. What species of 'African gobies' are you referring to?

nah..i wouldnt think any freshie snails would live in brackish very good...maybe some salt snails will? Anyways...y do you want snails? just like them? Reason i ask is because the puffers will most likely kill them anyways, as thats what they like to eat!!

as for the african gobies...not sure what you mean...i'm thinking the only goby thats brackish is the bumble bee goby, but i might be wrong. and i dont know where they come from.

HTH

I would set up a low light planted 10g just for snail reproduction - get some smaller rams and pond snails and you should have a constant food supply for the puffers :)

I was referring to bumblebee gobies and I do want my puffers to dine on snails.

tbonem91, why rams in the planted 10 gal? Just curious...I have rams in my 75 so I was curious why you recommended them for a predominately snail tank.

Thanks for the replies so far, folks!

meant ramshorn snails :) (just in case you thought I meant rams, the cichlid)

IME they breed like crazy and dont get too big - apple snails do too but dont start breeding till they get bigger and they dont seem to grow very fast.

I guess what you want is something that breeds at around the same size as you want to feed the puffers so that you have a constant snail turnover :)

Back
Top Bottom