Brand New Fluval Flex 15g and Shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cupatea

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Image1483407536.585147.jpg
Hey folks, so we've just bought the Fluval Flex 15 gallon tank, all very nice however my son and I are considering introducing freshwater shrimp to the tank. My concern, however, is the grill slats that allows water to the rear filter system are too large and I'm concerned the little critters will get through. Would like your advice on a solution to further filter these slats without adding undue stress to the pump. Thanks all.

Image1483407774.724166.jpg

Just use a song block behind it or you can put some medium size gravel in front of it. For example in my nano shrimp tank I have a small Hob filter and for the intake tube i fitted some old coarse sponge over it

Thanks Chest Rockwell, larger gravel / stones could be the answer though I'm not familiar with song blocks, typo?

View attachment 292686
Hey folks, so we've just bought the Fluval Flex 15 gallon tank, all very nice however my son and I are considering introducing freshwater shrimp to the tank. My concern, however, is the grill slats that allows water to the rear filter system are too large and I'm concerned the little critters will get through. Would like your advice on a solution to further filter these slats without adding undue stress to the pump. Thanks all.

View attachment 292687
I have the same tank and have the problem you describe albeit with 3 danios who seem to prefer it in there and a yoyo loach who can still get in so its a problem.
I didnt push the filter sponge down far enough the other day exposing another gap and ended up with a yoyo in the pump compartment. It took 25mins to get him out!
I guess coarse sponge behind is the answer then. Does everyone agree?

sponge filter

I just set up my new 15G Flex. I read some of the concerns and put an old sponge from a fluval edge in front, not behind, the slits in the back wall. I buried the sponge with Flourite gravel and put a plant in front. Doesn't seem to affect the pump. There are also openings at the top so it should be ok.

Back
Top Bottom