Breeder tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vol4Ever

Aquarium Advice Activist
Curious about the terminology. As the name implies, is it a tank setup to optimize breeding fish or does it mean something else? Saw a 40 gallon at Petco labelled as a breeder, but it just looked like a generic aquarium to me.

the 40 breeder is a 40 gallon tank with a wider footprint than a normal 40. It actually has more surface area than a 55 gallon because of that. Footprint is everything since fish care about horizontal space more than vertical, so a wide tank is better than a tall one, especially when it comes to breeding/territory things.

It's a great tank, I have a dozen of them.

But why call it a breeder? That just seems like an odd name, unless this particular footprint optimizes breeding conditions? Yeah. I know it's a dumb question. :)

I don't know the history behind the name but the wider footprint accommodates breeding setups much better, so it's possible they were created with that in mind.

They are shallow tanks which make lighting and cleaning relatively simple and the wider footprint allows for more stocking territory wise.

I'm learning on a 10 gallon at work, but that particular tank looks like something I'd be interested in down the road if I end up really getting into the hobby.

It's a better setup for breeding territorial fish (like cichlids) because there's more "floorspace" than a taller tank. Not an issue with livebearers or egg scattering fish like barbs or tetras. Personally, I really prefer the deeper tanks of any size. Aside from the greater variety of stocking options they just look better when they're scaped.
A 10 gallon is a relatively inexpensive way to start, but very limited as far as what fish you can keep.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom