Breeding different platys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aces11

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This may sound like a silly question but I've never done it before.... Will platys of different colors/strains mate together? I have 2 female red platys, 1 female salt and pepper, and one green male. I got different colors hoping that they'd mate and I'd get cool fry but the male hasn't seemed to show any interest in any of the females...yet.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

This may sound like a silly question but I've never done it before.... Will platys of different colors/strains mate together? I have 2 female red platys, 1 female salt and pepper, and one green male. I got different colors hoping that they'd mate and I'd get cool fry but the male hasn't seemed to show any interest in any of the females...yet.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes they will, as long as they're in the same genus I think they will. They will even cross-breed with swordtails (that's why mixing them in a community tank is not recommended for those who wants to keep pure strains or something like that xD).

Sometimes even if you have the same colored and patterned platy pair, they have a chance of spawning platys with different color (if you've learned biology this is kinda possible but the chances are low). And sometimes the female one already stored sperms from other male platys from the store or even from the place where they were bred, so she has a chance of spawning a mix of those different male platys.

If the males don't show any interest (by chasing the female or other mating behaviors), it is likely that he is stressed by something (could be sickness or environment like water quality, etc), the female is already pregnant (sometimes your male will stop chasing or the chase rate is reduced), or maybe he is not ready to mate yet (not matured yet). Or could be another reason, check on those I mentioned.

And good luck on your breeding! Happy breeding xD

Back
Top Bottom