Breeding mollies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pckerfreak44

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a community tank with 4 blood fin 3 neon and one serpae tetra, male betta two Cory's and two ghost shrimp. I love mollies and i really want to breed fish. I was wondering if I got 1 male and 1 female and put them in the community tank will they still breed? I have a deac amout of hiding places, and I don't want every single baby to survive cuz I will run out of room unfortunately. I have a 10 gal just sitting around but I really don't want to set it up unless I need too. What should I do?

Pckerfreak44 said:
I have a community tank with 4 blood fin 3 neon and one serpae tetra, male betta two Cory's and two ghost shrimp. I love mollies and i really want to breed fish. I was wondering if I got 1 male and 1 female and put them in the community tank will they still breed? I have a deac amout of hiding places, and I don't want every single baby to survive cuz I will run out of room unfortunately. I have a 10 gal just sitting around but I really don't want to set it up unless I need too. What should I do?

You might be able to breed them it's not hard with livebearers it is usually 1male:2-3female ratio. You could have the 10G has a fry tank because that's what I did to mine. They will get gravid spot and fat once she is preggers.

Pckerfreak44 said:
Alright. Thanks alot

Welcome also put something over filter so no fry will be sucked up!! Nylon or sponge will work :)

or you could just go with the survival of the fittest method. as long as you have some good hiding spots (both top and bottom) you might have some survivors. I still have 17 from my molly. pretty sure they are all going to make it. I lost a lot the first day, but after 2-3 days things really calmed down. I didn't cover the filter either. pretty sure none got sucked up - they would have been eaten first probably!

Speaking from personal experience: Yes they will breed, and breed, and breed and breed.....:lol:

Yeah I think I am going to do survival of the fittest, and that's the problem. I don't want them to breed to much. I can sell the fish to the lfs right? Petsmart is the one I usually go to

Pckerfreak44 said:
Yeah I think I am going to do survival of the fittest, and that's the problem. I don't want them to breed to much. I can sell the fish to the lfs right? Petsmart is the one I usually go to

They give you more in store credit but they might buy them for cheap call them first before you go over there. :)

Alright thanks :) I wanna work there. Do you think this would help me like get in with the people so I have a better chance of working there? Haha

Back
Top Bottom