**Breeding Mollies**

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

landon_garcia

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently got a 20 gallon tank that I have already setup with plants, gravel, and some pirate ship decor.

I now want to get mollies and start breeding them. I heard that they only live in brackish water. Is that true?

Can they live with other fish like goldfish?(I know goldfish eat anything that fits in their mouth)

Are they hardy?

Whats their gestation period?

Can all breeds mate with each other?

Sorry for all the questions! Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They can live in fresh and sometimes brackish

They cannot be with golds cause of different temp requirements

They are hardy IME

I would say pretty hardy, and not neccesary to be in brackish water, I've bred hundreds , thankfully now stopped and separated males and females , good luck :)

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Do you know of any breeding behavior that the male mollies would do? My male is looking straight up when he gets next to to the females and shakes his head. Its weird but he still eats and swims fine so I dont think its an illness.

Mine were just left to their own devices and roughly 4 weeks later babies.. Make sure the water temp is ok, I raised mine a little and the girls were much happier ..keep up with the water changes too.. You will know when she's pregnant(gravid) she will look like she's about to pop :)

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Awesome! Hopefully I get some babies! Ill share pics if i do haha

Back
Top Bottom